10.4 no SCSI?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by graphics84stil, Dec 20, 2004.

1. graphics84stil macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone...

I've heard a rumor that 10.4 won't support SCSI and I'm about to buy a huge fiber-optic raid with internal SCSI drives and I'm a little worried (IDE just won't cut it speed wise so don't bother to argue it)..

anyone know about this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Every time Apple updates, seems the SCSI users have been shafted ever since the B&W PowerMac G3 showed up.

The new 64-bit capable kernal may indeed have changes that cause problems, for SCSI card users.

Seems to happen with almost every update with regularity.

However this usually related to the PCI expansion cards, though I don't know how the Fiber-to-SCSI chassis users have fared -- along with all the other non-direct SCSI choices.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Funny how my blue and white G3 with Ultra2SCSI card keeps working.

I'm still trying to figure out why people think that SCSI support isn't there.

4. metfoo macrumors member

wont happen

to many servers require scsi for backup drives and raid arrays. Additionally, too many audio and video professionals have external scsi storage. Apple would be dumb to just drop all scsi support. Apple still sells SCSi cards. Too many people will get pissed off if what they buy today doesnt work 6 months from now.

I am running 8a323 and the Adaptec kext files are still there.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I have an unused Ultra2SCSI card and 9.1GB IBM hard drive sitting right here. I didn't know people used these anymore. If you have any interest in them, let me know... I'd let them go for pretty cheap.

:)

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Would that Ultra2SCSI card fit in a Power Mac G5? I have an Orange Micro Grappler combination SCSI+serial PCI card that fit fine in my Power Mac G4. I upgraded to a PM G5 and that card doesn't fit.

If you have a use for SCSI+serial (for example, for RS-232 deck control or old Apple printers) maybe we can work out a trade.

As for the original poster and the topic of the thread, just open up System Profiler in 10.4. You should see a SCSI category.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I have no idea if this will work in a G5... I don't know why it wouldn't. It has an internal SCSI ribbon connector, but in a G5 I don't know where you could put the SCSI hard drive, considering there are only 2 internal drive bays... This PCI card does also have an external SCSI ribbon connector, so that may be more useful, if you want to set up an external RAID. It won't work in the G4 MDD we have here at work, because the internal SCSI connector hits the power supply when you try and close the G4 door. Arg.

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you with the G5... the SCSI+serial PCI won't fit in mine either...
    ;)

If you are interested in a flat-out purchase of the Ultra2SCSI card and/or hard drive, PM me... we can work something out.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Does the RAID array connect to the Mac with SCSI or with fibre channel?

If the array connects via fibre channel it doesn't matter what type of disks are internal to the array as the array controller essentially hides the internals of the array from the host and presents logical volumes (LUNs).

If the array connects via a SCSI controller, then you might have cause to worry.

9. Leopold macrumors newbie

10.4 and SCSI Devices

I have the same problem.
    Since few years, all was right with SCSI Devices (Scanner EPSON and CD-Recorder Teac) and os x 10.2.8

Since two days ago, i installed Tiger os x 10.4, and it was a catastroph (always "you must restart your computer").
    I tryed this : you restart with your SCSI Devices switched on. At the beginning of the restart, there is a song, a noise, or something like that, in my EPSON Scanner. At this time, I shuw down my Scanner and my CD-Recorder. When the Tiger is completely restarted, I can use my SCSI Devices.
    I think, perhaps, it is not impossible to use SCSI Devices with Tiger, but perhapas they want that we put in the Litter all our old SCSI Devices, but our old SCSI Devices are very strong, arent'it ?

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Uhmm ... the SCSI you are talking about is inside the RAID box. The interface to the RAID box is FiberChannel, not traditional SCSI. Since Apple sells FiberChannel RAID and a PCI FiberChannel interface card for Mac, I think it's safe to say your good to go.

Sun_Baked: Tiger's "64-bit capable kernel" has zero to do with device drivers. Tiger is a 32-bit kernel; all device drivers are 32-bit. In fact, there's no way to write a 64-bit device driver in Tiger.