Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Yes this is a illegal install of 10.4 Server. I'm just wanting to mess around with a server OS and see what I can break and get working. I found a serial online and it worked and everything seemed fine. When i opened the server admin program it said my serial was invalid.

Why would it let me install if it is invalid? I haven't hooked it up to the internet and the only other computer on the network is a laptop running 10.5, also no internet.

Is there a way around this?

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Expected some type of response. Im just curious as to why it would let me install it, and then when it's up and running it would say it's invalid.

Being it's four year old, out dated server software, and I'm just tinkering with it I don't see the big deal.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The forum rules here are pretty clear about requesting information on illegal software. This thread will probably be deleted in 3. . 2. . 1 . . .

That being said, it would be nice if corporations allowed non-commercial, unsupported use of their old software, unfortunately, non (that I know of do). Doesn't the mac mini server come with a copy of server?

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
The forum rules here are pretty clear about requesting information on illegal software. This thread will probably be deleted in 3. . 2. . 1 . . .

That being said, it would be nice if corporations allowed non-commercial, unsupported use of their old software, unfortunately, non (that I know of do). Doesn't the mac mini server come with a copy of server?

Yes, however it's $1000, so to learn the server software (which changed a lot from 10.4 to 10.6), it's a big investment.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA

I'm not asking for a serial number.

I picked Tiger because 1) I'm using a Power Mac G4 to run it on, and 2) its way out of date and not sold any more, don't think apple would care if somebody installed it just to tinker on. Not trying to run a corporation here.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I'm not asking for a serial number.

I picked Tiger because 1) I'm using a Power Mac G4 to run it on, and 2) its way out of date and not sold any more, don't think apple would care if somebody installed it just to tinker on. Not trying to run a corporation here.

Jampat wasn't implying that, he was referring to the talk of doing something with illegal software.

I'm sure you can find 10.4 Server on CD or DVD on Ebay, that way you can do it legally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.