Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Hello,

When running panther, in Finder, I would go to Finder/Go/Connect to server and type: smb:\\192.168.1.100 and I would be able to connect to my Linux box that has Samba shares on it. Since I upgraded to Tiger this no longer works. I get the following error message:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://192.168.1.100" could not be read read or written. (Error Code -36).

I am, however, able to connect to Windows servers just fine. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this or a workaround? There have been no changes to my Linux server whatsoever.

Many thanks,
Steamboatwillie

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Steamboatwillie said:
Hello,

When running panther, in Finder, I would go to Finder/Go/Connect to server and type: smb:\\192.168.1.100 and I would be able to connect to my Linux box that has Samba shares on it. Since I upgraded to Tiger this no longer works. I get the following error message:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://192.168.1.100" could not be read read or written. (Error Code -36).

I am, however, able to connect to Windows servers just fine. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this or a workaround? There have been no changes to my Linux server whatsoever.

Many thanks,
Steamboatwillie

I think that there is a samba update on apples download page...it might fix the problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.