10.5.2 Image Master on PowerPC

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Eidorian, Feb 13, 2008.

1. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm using our recent MacBook Santa Rosa laptops for our image master. I know that the retail Leopard installer disc has produced an install image viable on PowerPC and Intel. Has anyone had any experience using a supposedly only Intel Leopard installation on PowerPC yet?

2. macrumors regular

I received a Leopard update disc w/ my 2.0GHz refurb iMac. The disc works great with my G4s. I have updated Leopard on the list of cpus below with this 1 disc. However the disc DID NOT specifically say Intel only.

3. thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thanks

I had a good feeling that the disc had binaries for both Intel and PowerPC. It's 6 GB for just the operating system alone! Tiger (PowerPC) was a slim 1.9 GB.

4. macrumors regular

I would think if your Leopard disc is specifically made for updating Intels, you wouldn't be able to boot into the Leopard installer with a PPC. It wouldn't make sense to have both boot binaries on the disc but not the installer.

Pop it in and see what happens :)

5. thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have the grey machine specific MacBook Santa Rosa discs and not the Drop-In Upgrade one. It's not going to work but thanks.

6. macrumors regular