Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Nice. They get their phones back to the way they intended. People choose to has the phones, Apple as every right to protect the use of the phones. :rolleyes:
Actually, the 'problem' has already been solved. The iPhone can still enter DFU mode if it is connected to the Mac through a USB hub. ;)

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Dev Team says:-

"DFU Problems

Lots of users have been experiencing problems with the use of DFU mode after applying yesterday’s 10.5.6 system update.

We believe this behavior is due to a kernel bug not a specific countermeasure by Apple. Possible fixes are (try at your own risk!) - "

and they suggest 3 solutions... like just do it on a pc or use a hub!

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Nice. They get their phones back to the way they intended. People choose to has the phones, Apple as every right to protect the use of the phones. :rolleyes:

well they should work more on perfecting the software than on preventing jailbreaks... since there is still so much missing and a lot of the features i would like to have (like a search funktion for mail) are already avialable with jailbreak
so it doesn´t seem that difficult to add...
(my phone is not jailbroken at the moment by the way)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So does anyone have the 10.5.5 kexts...it seems having to use a USB hub isn't the ideal solution...especially for laptops

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
From another thread:

I found a solution. It's not necessary to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext file. If you open the file, inside it are more kext files. You need to replace the following with a version from an old macbook:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Simply replacing them won't work. You have to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext folder to your desktop (for example), replace the above files(/folders) and then replace the whole folder in its original location like this:

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password
then enter the following (replace "User" with your username):

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
mv /Users/User/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Wait a few seconds for the Extensions file to rebuild itself and reboot the machine and you should be good to go.

My computer can now detect DFU and go to sleep normally :)

Ps. I'm still checking to see if this method can be further simplified and I will update accordingly.

I just did it... but, I'm not at home to check to see if it worked. (I did it over VNC)
This should work though.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007

How about I BOUGHT the phone I so should be able to use it as I see fit.:rolleyes:

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
TheSpaz - did that work well for you?

I really want to upgrade my macs. USB "hub"? uhhh...?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How about I BOUGHT the phone I so should be able to use it as I see fit.:rolleyes:

The point is that there's no indication that either this or the issues caused by the USB kext's on the newest Macbook and MBP were intentional countermeasures against iPhone hacking. With respect to the MB/MBP issue, it affected other devices as well, including Blackberries, and Apple is already making changes/fixes. With respect to 10.5.6, I don't know yet, but given that even the iPhone Dev Team doesn't seem to think this is Apple going after them, why do you think it is?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
TheSpaz - did that work well for you?

I really want to upgrade my macs. USB "hub"? uhhh...?

Yes it did actually. Those instructions were actually designed for the new MacBooks, but it works for 10.5.6 on other machines as well. Nice.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
spaz can you upload the proper kext files somewhere so we can download it i' trying to jailbreak my phone and i dont have a hub and will those kext work on a macbook and a macbookpro?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
spaz can you upload the proper kext files somewhere so we can download it i' trying to jailbreak my phone and i dont have a hub and will those kext work on a macbook and a macbookpro?

Doesn't anyone use Time Machine?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Can't you just download the 10.5.5 Combo Update and extract the files using Pacifist?

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
can someone tell me if i did this right

btw spaz i did what you said and i was able to get the kext files

Rockwell$ sudo -s
bash-3.2# rm -r /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# mv /users/rockwell/desktop/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
can someone tell me if i did this right

btw spaz i did what you said and i was able to get the kext files

Rockwell$ sudo -s
bash-3.2# rm -r /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# mv /users/rockwell/desktop/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/iousbfamily.kext
bash-3.2# rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

I think you need to use the same capitalization in your file paths there.

The first thing I did was replace the plugin files from 10.5.5 into the IOUSBFamily.kext file. Then I made sure the modified IOUSBFamily.kext file was on my desktop. Then I simply followed those commands (making sure the file path names were exact). That's it. Then restart.

integragsr

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Help with iPhone and 10.5.6

Hi everyone, I need your help with my iphone. I been trying to jailbreak it but unfortunately I can't, I get stuck with a white screen right after I release the home button. I tried using the usb hub and keyboard's USB because I did the mistake to update to the 10.5.6 and now I cant jailbreak my iphone 3G. I want to now if I can go back to the 10.5.5 version, I did a backup using time machine before I updated to 10.5.6. and I want you guys to guide me in how to revert to 10.5.5, I will appreciate any type of help.

P.S I apologize for my writing and I didn't do the kext solution because I am new with MACS and don't know how to use the terminals.:confused:
P.S I used quickpwn for the 2.2 jailbreak on osx 3 different times but still get the white screen.

thanks you guys and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.