10.5 beta?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laidbackliam, May 2, 2006.

1. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

will there be betas of osx 10.5 before the full release, or does apple keep that type of thing in house? it seems MS is pretty cool with letting vista get out for people to see/test/guinea pig, but i can see apple just sitting back and having a fully functioning new os without the beta stage.

that said, i hope they beta it.....

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

you won't see anything but the full version...

3. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

They have betas and whatnot, which are seeded to developers, as opposed to consumers for beta testing. For OS 10.0 I believe there was a public beta, but subsequent releases have just been given to devers for testing.

4. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I remember the 10 Beta, after a short while it said it had expired, and asked if you 'really' wanted to start up... :confused:

Fortunatly I was still using Mac OS 9 quite a bit.

5. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

thats cool, it'll be interesting to see how it shapes up. see if i'll shell the money out for the upgrade

6. satans_banjo macrumors regular

I may sound like a bit of a slave to apple, but I know for a fact that I'm shelling out for that as soon as it comes out

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats the truth! Does anyone know if we are likely to see 10.5 in 2006 or is it slated for an early 2007 release?

SHadoW

8. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Everyone is hoping for 2006, i personally wont mind 2007 as long as it kicks vistas glassy ass!! :D

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

WWDC will be a Dev's DVD release ready for a Jan 07 Macworld release

they want to go head to head with Vista :rolleyes:

10. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

With Gartner now saying that vista might be delayed again I would hope that apple takes advantage of the additional delay, give a final preview (possible a beta) of Leopard at Macworld and a launch date somewhere in april. Everyone is going to compare 10.5 with vista, apple needs to make sure they are the winners!

11. Tehy macrumors regular

12. Project macrumors 68020

With over 350 people working on it, I find it astonishing how they manage to keep things so tight lipped and secretive. I mean, who seriously saw Boot Camp coming? Thats a huge feature yet not a peep until it came out.

13. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

NDA = shhh or get sued (as well as loose your job!)

14. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

like that stopped them when WWDC Tiger 10.4 was rolled out onto the internet :rolleyes:

Apple Legal must be getting ready for 10.5 ;)

15. Project macrumors 68020

But its very very hard to pinpoint any leaks to somebody.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

just like last time DVD given to devs at WWDC then leaked onto the internet about 5 seconds latter and 4 hours of downloading latter onto my HD.

17. oober_freak macrumors regular

No!

Don't you know what happened the last time when some one posted Leopard Screenshots here! :eek:

:p

18. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

My guess... they won't want to release ahead of Vista. I'd love to see it in '06 but I think they will want to steal MS thunder if they can. If it's a week update, then they'll release '06, if it's a strong one... they'll go head to head.

19. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Heh. I have a better idea. They simply don't care what Microsoft does. Apple not only sells software, but hardware also. Apple will get their money, and OS X will come out as soon as it is ready.

If you recall from the Apple history, Apple never let themselves being drawn to a software race. When something was to be done, it would be, even if that took a lot of time.

OS X and Vista are different in many ways. And to me, it is better for apple to sit back and wait. That way, Microsoft won't have the chance to copy any other cool new feature of Apple's OS.

20. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

True .... but how many of us want Apple to rub Microsofts nose in it with 10.5's release :D

21. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

You forget that MS are a Mac software developer and are likely to sit on a few dev betas of 10.5 quite some time before it´s released into the wild. I wouldn´t worry too much though, it seems MS have their hands full getting current features of Vista right.

As a software developer for Windows, perhaps Apple too are busy copying…

22. ifjake macrumors 6502a

yeah they release a beta, but you have to buy it. 10.5.0. it'll be finished by about 10.5.4. they do it with hardward too. lot's of people participated with the MacBook Pro betas. hopefully that will be coming to a close soon.

23. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Your last paragraph to me counters the rest of what you were saying, a delayed release of 10.5 is competeing in the software race, but in this race its not the first out the door thats the winner but the OS that has the best features and is just released a bit before the other one and the most stable thats the winner . If apple releases 10.5 in 2010 then they will however have lost, the only time factor is how close can they get to M$.

24. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i occasionally develop some modest freeware, but not enough to make big bucks. i looked at the apple website, and it costs 12 hundred dollars to go to WWDC!!! there is no way i can afford that, although i'd really like to be able to develop for leapord. shizmit

25. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You don't have to go to WWDC to get OS X betas, you just have to be a member of ADC. I think the cheapest membership that will get you access to betas is the Select Membership which is $500. You also get a lot of other benefits, including a discount on a Mac.