10.5 by 2006?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yippy, Oct 12, 2004.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Does anyone know if there is any chance 10.5 will come out before the beggining of 2006? I ask because I can buy an Apple Maintenance Program from my university that garuntees me all OS upgrades from now till 2006. I will buy it anyway because it is only $45 w/o media (download) $55 with so it is still a good deal but I was wondering if there was a chance I could take advantage of it twice.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Jobs announced that Tiger will ship in the first half of 2005. Amazon.com says it will ship 3/31/05 but I would take that with a grain of salt.

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Apple previously announced that OS updates are supposed to be slowing down now. That's why Tiger is coming about a year and a half after Panther. Assuming at least another year and a half, if not more, between Tiger and OS X.5, and you will be beyond the beginning of 2006 timeframe you are looking at.

4. nels0360 macrumors member

I agree. Fortunately, my university has the Apple Maintenance program until September 2006 and they surely will renew it. It covers university computers but anybody with a university account (including all students & staff, I'm staff) can download it for free. That means free OS upgrades for me.