10.5 Intel / PPC install DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by R.Youden, Apr 6, 2006.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Just had a thought today, how will OS 10.5 install DVD be shipped? Will the DVD contain both Intel and PPC or will they be seperate discs? My thinking is how will the family pack be shipped? At the moment I believe that the family pack is the same as the single user but with a bigger license. if you have an Intel based Mac along with a PPC mac will you have to but two discs, or will the famiy pack already contain both? I suppose it may force more people who dont but the family pack to purchase it!

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

1 DVD but the software will be Universal Binary, This will allow you to install on PPC and intel.

No separate versions. just like before

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

So can you take a 10.4 DVD from an Intel mac and install it onto a PPC mac? I know this is against the rules but hypothetically speaking here OK.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Currently you can only install Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (Intel) on your Intel Mac. There has been some testing of a custom made universal image though for administrative purposes.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not just a matter of rules, but at the moment you can't even install a PPC version of Tiger from one Mac onto another PPC Mac. Apple's really cut down on this sort of thing, and with pretty good reason.

As for Leopard, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Universal Binary on a single DVD. :)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hopefully that's a typo but I used my Quicksilver 2002 as my boot drive for my MDD. I never even had to install OS X again. I just plugged in the FireWire and OS X detected all the new hardware.

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

What I believe mad jew is referring to is installing software from the gray discs that come with a Mac. I've misplaced my PM G5 install DVD, but have a PB G4 install DVD that I've tried to use instead for installing Classic, but to no avail. Apple's preventing users from using the install discs on computers they weren't intended for.
    -Chasen

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are ways around it, but if you grab the install disk from a modern Mac and try to use it on a different type of Mac, it won't work, like rendezvouscp the Amazing says. :cool:

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ah, yes the tied gray disks. I had a universal PPC installation on my Quicksilver so it'd work on any PowerPC machine.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Going back a few years, when Panther was released Apple released "Darwin 7.0", which is basically a free version of the underlying unix for Mac OSX (i.e. everything except the user interface), this CD was Unversal, and worked on Intel and PPC.

Universal binaries are nothing new!! :)