10.5 on ADC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sequence, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Sequence macrumors member

Do you guys know if 10.5 Developer Preview will be released on Apple Dev. Connection? It would be awesome to try it out... *Torrents = :cool:*

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sure... pay the US$500 to join, or the reduced student rate, and you can get to it either now or very soon.

Otherwise, wait until spring. Word has it that there might be watermarking on some of the previews, so torrenting them is a bad idea. Always illegal, but now even riskier.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No. And using torrents and the like for illegal things like grabbing 10.5 Preview (which is only supposed to be for paid ADC members, who undoubtedly have to sign a NDA) is not a good subject to bring up on MR.

4. projectle macrumors 6502

Just to confirm, does the Student ADC Subscription allow access to pre-released software (like 10.5) as Select does?

I am a student, I am a developer, and I want access to Leopard, and I would like to know if paying $99 for it will get it for me, or if I need to pay the full $500 to get it.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You won't get any beta versions of the operating system. Those are limited to Select and Premier members. Student members receive the final version.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Can some one tell me, If I sign up for ADC Student - I'm told on the FAQ I'd b entitled to 1 substantially reduced piece of Apple Hardware.

Has anyone bought though this and is it substantially more reduced than normal edu discount.

So my question is WHAT is Substantially Reduced ???

If it is reduced by a lot it would be worth my while to signup and benefit from the discount on a new mac pro.

7. Lau Guest

What's watermarking? I've never heard of it before.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but it's similar to the digital watermarking they put on images. It's invisible, but every executable can be traced to a specific download. In other words, every file is subtly different. Obviously, that's not the case with the thousands of preview copies... but we all know these previews are missing big chunks of functionality.
    Go here, then click on the "ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store" link to see the discounts. They're substantial and exceed the edu ones in most cases, and esp. on higher-end systems (for example, the base Mac Pro is US$1999).

9. projectle macrumors 6502

I am still waiting for it to be posted (and no, I am not trying to "borrow" a copy, I have a Select subscription).

Any ideas on when they are usually uloaded (Day after WWDC, Week After, Month After, etc.)

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I spoke with an ADC rep on the phone and he told me Apple wasn't even sure if the preview was even going to go out to any of the developers other than who attended WWDC2006..

THIS got me very angry..I PAY for this stuff..

Apple has received my letter of disappointment in their lack of support for developers and for keeping the vast majority in the dark.

Keep it up Apple and your dev base will shrink fast.

11. bearcat2000 macrumors newbie

Surely they will put it up for all ADC members as not everyone who develops goes to the conference, and they need access to it as well. I'm ready to plunk down $500 for a membership, but only after I know that I can download it. Please keep me informed and PM me if you hear of it showing up there. Much appreciated.

12. parkds macrumors regular

That doesn't seem very fair to developers who could not make it to SF for the WWDC

13. Dicx macrumors regular

Dicx

10.5 on ADC

Not on there yet as of now. 7:53 pm Tuesday. I would guess give it a week. I can not remember how long it took Tiger Preview to show up when it finally did. There have been other update for WWDC but no Leopard yet.

14. bearcat2000 macrumors newbie

15. DeathChill macrumors 68000

There's no watermarking; there never has been and there never will be. The amount of work required to create a uniquely watermarked image for each developer would be impossible. Not that I'm saying that it should be torrented, I'm just saying that there never have been nor will there ever be watermarked images for the OS versions.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not true. It's actually very easy. It's hard to make it undefeatable. It's trivial to make it difficult to defeat. We have a patent pending on one way to do it; I'm sure there are many.

17. DeathChill macrumors 68000

For a 4 GB DMG file? That's quite different I'd think as it would require a unique file for each DMG which would mean that each DMG would have to be uniquely put together, unless of course it just drops a file in, but I doubt Apple will ever do that.

18. projectle macrumors 6502

When you are dealing with Download-And-Burn images, it gets pretty easy.

What one would do is simply imbed the Developer's ID into several key files (like the Kernel, Disk Utility, or other essencial packages).

It does not need to be something that could be executed to track data and installations, but rather a way that one could download a pirated version from a torrent or other site, read the dev_id and deactivate their account and send them a nasty letter.

To track that data, all you would need to do is add an extra function to Software Update so that when it checks what updates are avaliable, it sends that dev_id along with the statements of what patch level your installation is at to determine if you need a patch.

19. bearcat2000 macrumors newbie

20. projectle macrumors 6502

Not yet. I am not thinking that it will be avaliable for a week after WWDC ends (next friday at the earliest).

21. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I am happy for those who went to WWDC and are using the Leopard prerelease now. :)

22. projectle macrumors 6502

If anything, I would think that those discs would be less secure than the ones that would be downloaded from the ADC website.

The discs appeared to be mass produced, meaning 1:1 copies.

It could have been that they did do the thermal printing and sealing beforehand on standard recordable media and then wrote a script to interate between installation images with the watermarkings, however at that point it would be difficult to keep track of which interation was given to each developer (not impossible, just a ton of man hours solely to duplicate disks and trusting notes to make sure which bag it went in).

But again, this is all speculation.

BTW, ADC does not yet have any images to download.

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I was told by ADC reps that just like before the Tiger release the Leopard release will more than likely take place next month.Whether or not it will be in DVD format has not been decided.The DVD's given out at WWDC2006 were just for the attendees..There were no other releases.Yet.