10.5 Spaces & dashboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Stig, Feb 27, 2007.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Here is a good question about Spaces in 10.5.

I know you will be able to switch between desktops with Spaces which is kinda cool... but I think it would be cool if when you switch to a different space and bring up dashboard that it would be different also. So there are 4 spaces and 4 dashboards for each space. I think this would be GREAT because I have a MB and so the 13.3' screen fills up with widgets pretty quick. If I had more "space" ;) I would use more widgets.

Does anything think this will be part of 10.5? Or will you only have 1 dashboard?

Thoughts?

The Stig

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I would probably prefer only one dashboard as widgets tend to take up quite a bit of RAM and you may be in one space but the widget you require could be in another so you will then need to move to the oter space, activate dashboard then go back to the space you were working in.

3. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

well I don't really want to use that many more widgets. I more want to take widgets that I don't use a lot of move them to a different space so they don't take up screen space.

I don't think widgets take up a lot of processor. There is a dashboard performance thread going on right now and people say when you close dashboard the widgets stop using RAM. So it isn't a big deal I would think.

The Stig

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Why dont you pack your widgets real close, or overlap some areas which you don't need to read, etc.

5. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

oh then I'd have to move them and it would look bad. Good idea, and I'll think about, but it wouldn't look very good.

The Stig

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

In 10.5, widgets will also use significantly less memory. (Instead of launching a new process for each one, there will be one process per five widgets.)

7. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

What widgets are you using that are so useful?

I just cannot get into dashboard at all. The only useful thing there for me is stickies.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dashboard sucks up so much RAM I can't stand it. It uses more memory than Safari!

I haven't heard a thing about 10.5 and widgets. Therefore I imagine there won't be much change done to it (in the manner that you are hoping for).

9. rksprst macrumors member