Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
PACE Support is a dongle/security layer installed by digidesign drivers for Pro Tools and Avid for copy protection ( that PACE stuff is really hateful software and was a BIG reason to get out of Pro Tools for me) but they were not in the end the culprit.

I don't know what it is - Mine is still doing it. Especially when text editing (insertion and so on)

I think this is core OS issue. something is running a total interrupt on the trackpad that halts it.

1st bug I've ever encountered on my Mac in years. I run a VERY clean Apple only system so it must be something in their control. Needs fixing this is the most basic of interface failures.

nrweaver

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
same problem here it is very annoying. i have to click on something atleast 3 times for it to actually register that i click. especially with itunes it seems the worse

15" macbook pro bought october 2009

simon the diver

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
mid 2008 mac book pro trackpad freezes

my mid 2008 macbook pro trackpad freezes seemingly randomly since the 10.6.3 update - with this and the itune 9.1 crashing problem with the browser view open it been a rubbish few days to be a mac owner

repeat to myself - do not install updates in first couple of weeks - do not install updates in the first couple of weeks

unless they are update updaters !

bkap16

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Nice to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Early 2008 MBP, 10.6.3. Hopefully, Apple will roll out a fix soon.

digger1914

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2006
Sydney, Australia
After just getting through the Aperture 3 debacle I am now a victim of the 10.6.3 freeze out too. This is getting very annoying. My MBP must know what I am typing as it locked me out doing this post :)

SidbSmart

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Keyboard Hanging

I don't know if thinking in this direction might help but I think the problem might has something to do with the overheating of the laptop. The Air (which is what I use) does not have a very smart exhaust vent. Its situated in a place to block the air from leaving the motherboard.

I turned off my comp for some time and then restarted it. The CPU feels as hot but the fan seems to be doing its job. I know that the processor stops processing when the core reaches a certain temperature. This is so it does not get fried.(was very common during the overclocking days).

Just a food for thought. In the end only JOB would know what going on right?

SidbSmart

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Solution to the Keyboard+Trackpad Hanging Problem

I don't know if thinking in this direction might help but I think the problem might has something to do with the overheating of the laptop. The Air (which is what I use) does not have a very smart exhaust vent. Its situated in a place to block the air from leaving the motherboard.

I turned off my comp for some time and then restarted it. The CPU feels as hot but the fan seems to be doing its job. I know that the processor stops processing when the core reaches a certain temperature. This is so it does not get fried.(was very common during the overclocking days).

Just a food for thought. In the end only JOB would know what going on right?

So i called up Apple Care and they helped me since my serial number is within the warranty period. So here is the solution that made my problem go away:

RESET THE HARDWARE
1. When you keyboard and trackpad hangs, hold the power button down for a few seconds till the mac goes off.
2. Hold [LEFT-SHIFT]+[CONTROL]+[OPTION] key down and press the power button once. If need hold it down for a few seconds.
3. Nothing will happen so don't be worried about it.
4. Wait for a few seconds and start your machine. From here on it should work fine.

If this fails down the line, i will go through the same process and find another solution.

Please let me know if this doesnt work for any one.

Regards,

S-bSmart

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
So i called up Apple Care and they helped me since my serial number is within the warranty period. So here is the solution that made my problem go away:

RESET THE HARDWARE
1. When you keyboard and trackpad hangs, hold the power button down for a few seconds till the mac goes off.
2. Hold [LEFT-SHIFT]+[CONTROL]+[OPTION] key down and press the power button once. If need hold it down for a few seconds.
3. Nothing will happen so don't be worried about it.
4. Wait for a few seconds and start your machine. From here on it should work fine.

If this fails down the line, i will go through the same process and find another solution.

Please let me know if this doesnt work for any one.

This is an SMC reset. It was already mentioned and hasn't worked for me.

fuziwuzi

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Bris, Australia
i ran all the automated things in Onyx. i haven't had a hang since then... too late, just had a hang then. seems that using text boxes in man apps causes the hang..

Palladium

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Northern Ireland, UK
Hanging Mouse

On a Sept 2009 standard 13" MBP, since upgrading to 10.6.3, I have not experienced any of the problems mentioned in this thread. I have however experienced a problem with my mouse which may be related since it involves cursor movement. Since I have seen no other mention of this I am posting here rather than start a new thread. Since the upgrade the mouse is not always recognised on waking from sleep. Sometimes it is active and sometimes it is not. I have the impression that on a few occasions it became active after a short time (< 1min) but this certainly doesn't always happen and it has never happened when when I have looked for it. The mouse is normally plugged into a USB hub but I have experienced the same when it was plugged directly into a computer port. If the mouse is not active, I can restore its activity by unplugging and the connector and reinserting it but this is a nuisance. I have tried doing the SMC reset alreaqdy mentioned with no change. Any thoughts?

SidbSmart

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Problem Solved

On a Sept 2009 standard 13" MBP, since upgrading to 10.6.3, I have not experienced any of the problems mentioned in this thread. I have however experienced a problem with my mouse which may be related since it involves cursor movement. Since I have seen no other mention of this I am posting here rather than start a new thread. Since the upgrade the mouse is not always recognised on waking from sleep. Sometimes it is active and sometimes it is not. I have the impression that on a few occasions it became active after a short time (< 1min) but this certainly doesn't always happen and it has never happened when when I have looked for it. The mouse is normally plugged into a USB hub but I have experienced the same when it was plugged directly into a computer port. If the mouse is not active, I can restore its activity by unplugging and the connector and reinserting it but this is a nuisance. I have tried doing the SMC reset already mentioned with no change. Any thoughts?

I took my apple to the "nearest" apple store (100 miles away) to get it checked out by an Apple expert. He kept my laptop for 1 day during which he diagnosed the hardware.

He was able to fix the problem without hardware replacement and it was concluded that it was a firmware fault that had to be fixed.

So for all you guys, its not a hardware issue, but a firmware issue. It was resolved by doing a software update by Apple experts that seem to have a different version of the OS update than whats given on the website.

Cheers

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
So for all you guys, its not a hardware issue, but a firmware issue. It was resolved by doing a software update by Apple experts that seem to have a different version of the OS update than whats given on the website.

Well, the new 10.6.3v1.1 combo update (build 10D578) doesn't fix the problem on my mid-2009 MacBook. Very disappointing.

BTW, the 10.6.3 "supplemental" update doesn't show up if you did 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 combos previously, as I did.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
This is very simple

1) Apple released an update which created the problem

2) Apple need to get VERY busy releasing a patch to fix the problem

I am not about to start going to see Apple engineers and messing with my firmware.

Apple fix this problem already. This isn't a casual problem - it's all day long- the mouse pointer - the most single vital thing on a computer is crashing - especially on inserts.

:apple:
:rolleyes:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Since installing 10.6.3 my trackpad (i.e mouse pointer) and keyboard are hanging up for 10 seconds at a time every couple of minutes.

It's seriously annoying - this happening to anyone else?

Yes, I have 24" iMac Nov-2007 model and exactly same.
At first I thought battery, nope its at 67%.
Some bug in 10.6.3

very-very-very annoying. Interferes with typing constantly.

memph

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Security Update didn't help.

todays "securitiy update" seems to be the patch ... :)

no more freezing here!

Not for me, unfortunately. I've installed this update (Security Update 2010-003) this morning, and since then this freezing happened to me twice.
My ultimate workaround is to get my MacBook Pro sleep and the awake it.
I do it by pressing Power Button, then Tab to "Sleep" button. Right after MacBook fell asleep :))) I usually press Esc to awake it.

MacEll

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
FIX FOUND - remove/replace swollen battery pressing against trackpad

The battery can be swollen even if the battery seems good otherwise, low cycles and holding a good charge. The swelling may not be readily seen - maybe just a slight curve.

The swelling can be very, very slight, but still presses against the underside of the trackpad. You may notice that battery cover does not close properly. Sometimes there is no problem till the computer warms up a bit, perhaps causing the swollen battery to come into contact due to thermal expansion.

Try running the computer from a power supply with the battery removed. There is also a small triangular slotted screw on the bottom of the trackpad that adjusts the sensitivity. If your computer is out of warranty, adjusting that could also help.

I don't believe the problem is related to OS X 10.6.3 unless somehow it's causing the batteries to fail.

This might not solve everyone's trackpad problems, but if it seems stuck, won't click properly, etc. then check for a swollen battery - before resetting PRAM/SMC, reinstalling the OS, or having your computer repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.