Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Hi

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right category here.
I have a new MacBook Pro. I'm trying to download my printer driver (which doesn't seem to have survived the data transfer from my old Mac since it's not here), and also Webpage Screenshot. My system won't let either download.

On my Lexmark driver attempt, where the full .dmg file would normally go (the 'download line' above the dock), instead I get the name of the .dmg file ,with something like '0.7/13.7 MG Insufficient Pre...' and then a down arrow.

For Webpage Screenshot I get the same error message, with 0/508KB as the size.

When I click on a down arrow, the Lexmark file popup menu has 'Always open files of this type' and I have checked that checkbox, to no avail. That's the only option in the popup menu that's black/active... the rest are all greyed out and unclickable.

On the Webpage Screenshot popup menu, everything is greyed out and unclickable.

When I click on the file name in the box (to the left of each down arrow) nothing happens... I can't even read the rest of the word 'Permissions'.

I thought maybe a setting somewhere limits my downloads to really small, and I need to switch that. I looked for such a setting, to no avail.

I need those files. Can anyone help???

Thanks for your time

Lisa

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, but I'll take a stab...

Are you using Command-Shift-3 for the screenshot?

If you are having permissions issues try this:

1).Restart Lion and hold down the Command and R keys.
2).You will boot into the Repair Utilities screen. On top, in the Menu Bar click the Utilities item then select Terminal.
3)In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Return.
4). The Password reset utility launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on the icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the drop-down below it, select the user account where you are having issues.
At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled ‘Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs’. Click the Reset button there.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Other ideas maybe?

Your instructions were excellent, even Luddite-me could follow them.
But sadly, I restarted again and it still won't permit downloads, it still presents the 'insufficient permissions' warning.
Any other thoughts?
Sad Lisa:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.