10.7.4 Supplemental Update

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by AppleFanatic10, May 30, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

2. macrumors regular

I did! Updated as well. Know not what changed...

3. macrumors regular

I did too

I received the same update, and I did a quick Google search before installing it..

There is no mention of it on Google, nor on the Apple website, so I will hold off till others try it first.

IAN...

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

I haven't installed it either, not sure what it does exactly, so I guess I'll hold off until more people know about it...

5. macrumors 68040

fisherking

nothing like that showing up here...
    r u peeps on desktop macs/imacs?

6. macrumors 6502a

MrNomNoms

I have a feeling that this is related to Sandboxing and programmers complaining that the sandboxing API is incomplete/lacking in some areas.

7. macrumors regular

But why isn't there any info on the Apple website about this update (like all the other updates)?

8. macrumors member

Is this because of the SSD disk ?

installed an SSD into my 2008 MacPro - my second one without SSD does not have the update offered.

9. macrumors regular

I am wondering if it is an update to correct the super slow shutdown in Lion...?

My SSD equipped MB Pro has been taking @ 45-60 seconds to shutdown since I upgraded to Lion, whereas it used to shutdown within 4-5 seconds when I was on SL.

Hmmmm.... :)

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

I don't have a SSD in my MacBook. It just popped up on my updates.

11. macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

So far I've only seen another post about this "update" on here. Not exactly sure if I should trust it or not.

13. macrumors 68000

Sdahe

14. macrumors 65816

adnbek

Hasn't shown up on either my Mini (2011) or MBP (2011).

15. Mr. Retrofire, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Original download URL:
    http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...jbsYdfK9YbrJLPdVhdCNq/MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...jbsYdfK9YbrJLPdVhdCNq/MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.smd
    (Base64 encoded; decode it here)

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...jbsYdfK9YbrJLPdVhdCNq/MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkm
    says:

So i think this is a fast security update. Package contents (click to enlarge):

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 65816

Drew017

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

Thats strange.. How come only a handful of people have received this update? Very suspicious.:confused:

18. macrumors regular

And strange that there is nothing mentioned on the Apple website..... Sounds very strange to me

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

Exactly. I noticed that on the bottom of the updates page there's no kb website or whatever you call it like there usually is when Apple sends out an "official" update. That's kind of what threw me off about this update.

20. Sven G, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

macrumors newbie

I got this supplemental update in Software Update only on one of my Macs, the one on which I had recently reinstalled OS X 10.7.4 from the Mac App Store.

So, it might be that this update is needed only for fresh 10.7.4 installations, while it isn't on systems upgraded from earlier Lion versions (e.g., from 10.7.3).

This is confirmed also by the fact that, when browsing through Time Machine backups, the relevant files (i.e., /System/Library/CoreServices/ScopedBookmarkAgent and /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.scopedbookmarkagent.xpc.plist) weren't present before the supplemental update on my freshly reinstalled Mac; while they were already present (and thus with no supplemental update offered) on the other ones, which had been updated (with delta updaters) from 10.7.3 via Software Update.

So, it looks like Apple forgot to include those two files in the Mac App Store Lion 10.7.4 installer (and maybe also in the 10.7.4 combo updaters?).

At least, one possible explanation (and the package is signed by Apple, so it should certainly be authentic)...

21. macrumors regular

This makes sense. It only showed up on a newly built Mac with 10.7.4 DVD.
    This update has not showed up on my other Macs.

22. Sven G, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

macrumors newbie

... And another thing to note are the file sizes:

- /System/Library/CoreServices/ScopedBookmarkAgent: 78 528 byte;

- /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.scopedbookmarkagent.xpc.plist: 486 byte.

These sizes are identical on the newly built 10.7.4 system (with the supplemental update) and on the other, upgraded systems (without the supplemental update, where those files were already present): so, probably, they are also the exactly same versions, even if the creation and modification dates are obviously different for those from the supplemental update.

[Edit:] OK, I just browsed through the whole Time Machine history on my MacBook Pro, which was originally built with 10.7.3: and the two files in question were always present, and right from the beginning!

So, it really looks like the explanation for all this is quite simple: they just forgot to include the two files in the 10.7.4 Mac App Store installer/DMG, while they were indeed present in the 10.7.3 one (and the updaters, both delta and combo, also seem to have nothing to do with this).

That might explain why only computers originally built with 10.7.4 get the supplemental update...

23. thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

Well I've had mine updated to 10.7.4 since the release date this version. So I'm still not sure why its showing up on select macs and not all of them...

I've installed the update anyways, hopefully everything goes good with the update. Thanks guys =]

24. macrumors 68040

fisherking

yeah, wondering why i don't get it in SU. am almost jealous (i love updating my software)...:D

25. Eddyisgreat, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat