10.7 server mac mini with Windows 7 SAMBA SMB

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by joecool99, Nov 11, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

joecool99

are there any improvements in behavior as file server SMB with Windows 7 on the network ?
    What SMB version is included ?

currently have 10.6.8 server and occasional hiccups with file permissions still with 10 PC running Windows 7.

if 10.7 is more reliable, would upgrade. share your experience/thoughts.

2. macrumors 6502

mainstay

Without additional information on what other roles your server is running it is hard to give a recommendation to upgrade.

Apple has replaced SAMBA with their own proprietary internally-developed code, called SMBX, apparently largely due to not being able to comply with the SAMBA project's open-source licensing requirements.

OS X Lion does not support logging into NAS boxes running Samba or AFP servers that employ the DHCAST128 (claimed as a security risk). So this has caused NEW issues for networks with certain NAS's.

I would prefer to work with the devil you know and keep SL.

I haven't had issues with Windows systems accessing Lion, to be fair.

But then again, Windows computers access my SL servers perfectly fine too. I have had some minor permission errors on rare occasions but can they can be fixed with BatChmod.

Long answer to say: I wouldn't "upgrade".

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

joecool99

the server is a simple file server with SMB service running with numerous volumes mostly for word documents with different user rights.

that's really all i want from it. yes, i still occasionally experience permission error when PC opes word document and when tries to save i get permission error - needs to be saved as new file.

is there a definite cure for this symptoms ? it happens rarely, but still.
    what BatChmod does ?