Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwitchCity

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
More Sandbox Issues

You can completely fix all the mdworker related sandbox errors in Console (including the 'cannot talk to lsboxd') by editing the system.sb profile rather than the mdworker ones. The system.sb file is used by all Apple system processes that run under the sandbox, including mdworker. If you modify this file (which is located in /System/Library/Sandbox/Profiles) to include:

(allow mach-lookup (global-name "com.apple.ls.boxd"))

(allow mach-lookup (local-name "com.apple.ls.boxd"))

This will stop all the lsbox related mdworker issues.

Thank you for this. I made this change and hopefully it will resolve some of my sandbox issues.

I am also seeing lots of these messages:

Code:
sandboxd: ([10305]) com.apple.qtkits deny file-write-create /Users/USERNAME/Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile
and
Code:
sandboxd: ([10305]) com.apple.qtkits deny file-write-create /Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile

Further, I have a ton of file-read-data deny issues when attempting to read some directories on my computer that contain video files. For instance:

Code:
sandboxd: ([7390]) com.apple.qtkits(7390) deny file-read-data /Users/USERNAME/Movies/New Movies/

Could I add a line to a sandbox file (maybe com.apple.qtkitserver.sb?) to stop these? I believe this sandbox issue might stem from the application I am using to stream media files from our iMac to our PS3 - Yazsort's Playback Media Server. I made a report on their forums - here - but the developer doesn't seem to have much of an idea about how to troubleshoot this issue.

Advice would be *really* appreciated!

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
This is a crud hack, I don't recommend making modifications to sandboxd's policies.

If there's something an application won't let you do that you think you need to do, then you need to talk to the developer. Either they're not doing something correctly, or you're doing something unexpected.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Set the "Start after:" time on it to Never.

PS: I'm now 5+ days with no freezes or crashes since disabling my screen saver.
Well, it finally did freeze yesterday. I've re-enabled my screen saver and have disconnected a USB drive that was plugged in to the machine -- monitoring to see what happens.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Do you realize that this is totally off topic for this thread?
No, because I too was experiencing the lsboxd errors and there was speculation that they were causing machine freezes, of which I have had many. I've been trying to figure out what processes might be involved in the freezes so that people can possibly have a workaround for the issue until Apple fixes it.

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
Thank you for this. I made this change and hopefully it will resolve some of my sandbox issues.

I am also seeing lots of these messages:

Code:
sandboxd: ([10305]) com.apple.qtkits deny file-write-create /Users/USERNAME/Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile
and
Code:
sandboxd: ([10305]) com.apple.qtkits deny file-write-create /Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile

Further, I have a ton of file-read-data deny issues when attempting to read some directories on my computer that contain video files. For instance:

Code:
sandboxd: ([7390]) com.apple.qtkits(7390) deny file-read-data /Users/USERNAME/Movies/New Movies/

Could I add a line to a sandbox file (maybe com.apple.qtkitserver.sb?) to stop these? I believe this sandbox issue might stem from the application I am using to stream media files from our iMac to our PS3 - Yazsort's Playback Media Server. I made a report on their forums - here - but the developer doesn't seem to have much of an idea about how to troubleshoot this issue.

Advice would be *really* appreciated!

From doing some of my own research on how qtkit works, the files its referencing are temp files. I wouldnt worry too much about these errors unless you suspect they are killing performance or causing other issues, which they shouldnt be. The only reason I made the changes for mdworker was to troubleshoot Spotlight issues that many were experiencing.

dkgee

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Park City UT
I applied Phobox's fix (Msg#60) to my MacBookPro and iMac. Now Console does not report the "Unable to talk to lsboxd" as often (maybe every two or three hours) but I get a regular line in Console on both machines that says:
lsboxd: @AE relay 61657674:72617070
or
lsboxd: @AE relay 4755524c:4755524c

Any idea what this is trying to tell me - and is it of any concern?

filippaulsen

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I have some problems with RAM on my new rMBP, using only Safari, Mail and iTunes the 8 GB RAM is completely filled very quickly. It seems like Mail, iTunes, Safari web content and kernel task are using the most.

Anyway this morning I noticed that I had an unusually large amount free and I checked the logs, mostly for fun, to see if it could be explained. I noticed the same messages as described in this thread every 2 minutes.

Do you think that whatever is related to these messages is responsible for draining my RAM?

i.e. Did anyone of you experience RAM problems related to this sandboxing things?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I have some problems with RAM on my new rMBP, using only Safari, Mail and iTunes the 8 GB RAM is completely filled very quickly. It seems like Mail, iTunes, Safari web content and kernel task are using the most.

Anyway this morning I noticed that I had an unusually large amount free and I checked the logs, mostly for fun, to see if it could be explained. I noticed the same messages as described in this thread every 2 minutes.

Do you think that whatever is related to these messages is responsible for draining my RAM?

i.e. Did anyone of you experience RAM problems related to this sandboxing things?

Actually yes - it happened ONCE that, upon turning my Mac on, I could see that the WHOLE RAM was being used (when this was never the case before, of course).

In any case, I got a reply today from Apple Developer (after having filed it as a bug), where they say my bug report was deemed as a duplicate, since there is already another bug report on the same issue.

I am absolutely sure this will be dealt with when 10.8.3 is released...let's just be patient for now.

filippaulsen

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I am absolutely sure this will be dealt with when 10.8.3 is released...let's just be patient for now.

Oh, good. I sure hope this will be the case. I don't run heavy applications that often, but I worry about how it will perform the few times I do if the ram is completely eaten while surfing. Its an rMBP for good sake! I paid a lot for it, and there is no possibility to upgrade the memory...

apmu

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Oh, good. I sure hope this will be the case. I don't run heavy applications that often, but I worry about how it will perform the few times I do if the ram is completely eaten while surfing. Its an rMBP for good sake! I paid a lot for it, and there is no possibility to upgrade the memory...

I hate to burst your bubble, but I have the latest 10.8.3 beta that Apple is pimping and I am still seeing these errors.

Code:
12/6/12 4:39:51.767 PM sandboxd[12457]: ([12456]) mdworker(12456) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd

My company has an enterprise support contract with Apple and I'm escalating this issue via that channel.

Andrew

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I'm running 10.8.2 on my standard PC (hackintosh), and I'm not getting these errors... funny... But I got similar errors with Lion if I remember correctly.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I hate to burst your bubble, but I have the latest 10.8.3 beta that Apple is pimping and I am still seeing these errors.

Code:
12/6/12 4:39:51.767 PM sandboxd[12457]: ([12456]) mdworker(12456) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd

My company has an enterprise support contract with Apple and I'm escalating this issue via that channel.

Andrew

That's absolutely freaking RIDICULOUS if they don't fix those issues - I reported them a while ago and they were marked as "duplicated", meaning that many others had already reported such a problem.

Another MAJOR problem is the loss of Ethernet connection after waking from sleep - only the ifconfig terminal command restores it afterwards.

I must say again: 10.8.2 is probably the WORST 10.x.x release ever from Apple...what a train wreck.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm having this same issue. Not sure what's causing it. I'm a developer so I find myself looking at logs an awful lot.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I'm looking in logs too - But I can't figure out what's the problem :(

For example:

08.12.12 2:45:28,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - And dark wake, shutdown -h over didn't work too ( I hadn't tried sudo halt) - I had to shutdown Mac by power button in morning &*fans were at 6000 RPM :/

No planned wake ups on that time (am) so probably dropped connection ( I tried it if it hadnt started working that night - it didn't :mad: )

Last edited:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm looking in logs too - But I can't figure out what's the problem :(

For example:

08.12.12 2:45:28,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - And dark wake, shutdown -h over didn't work too ( I hadn't tried sudo halt) - I had to shutdown Mac by power button in morning &*fans were at 6000 RPM :/

No planned wake ups on that time (am) so probably dropped connection ( I tried it if it hadnt started working that night - it didn't :mad: )
The lsboxd problem is surely caused by conflicts between defined sandbox rules and programs installed with OS X, given the nature of the log message. However, the exact cause is much harder for us to pin down, not having or knowing the source code.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
My seeming "hang" on some apps cleared up within a few seconds of turning off "Wake for network access" in Energy Saver System Preferences. Hopefully I won't have the problem again, but we'll see.

edit: I think it was just a coincidence. I'm getting tired of this *****.

Last edited:

jfBLOOM22

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
Same Issue Here

I get these 5 console errors about every 3 minutes:

12/12/12 9:08:00.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(5873) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd
12/12/12 9:08:00.173 AM sandboxd[5873]: ([5872]) mdworker(5872) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
12/12/12 9:08:00.183 AM sandboxd[5873]: ([5871]) mdworker(5871) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
12/12/12 9:08:23.518 AM mdworker[5876]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
12/12/12 9:08:23.631 AM sandboxd[5877]: ([5876]) mdworker(5876) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd (pre-ls-info fstype:hfs fsflag:4809000 flags:240000005E diag:0 uti:com.apple.property-list plugin:internalPlainTextImporter - find suspect file using: sudo mdutil -t 575679)

Not really noticeable issues. I am able to wake from sleep over LAN.

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I have one additional symptom no-one else here seems to mention. Time Machine (to a Time Capsule over ethernet, wifi is off) is running very slowly.

I had the problems of black screen when trying to wake from sleep, only a force shutdown with the power button would get it back, although, once only, connecting a MacBook Air over the Cinema Display cable woke it as an external monitor and unplugging took it back to a normal, working display where the iMac was fine.

I took the machine in for the 1TB Seagate HD replacement and upon it's return I did not restore backups. I just set up fresh. Everything ran fine until the first failure to wake finally occurred, since when, I think, the Time Machine has again been slow. Sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes a couple of hours for a few hundred MB's.

I now find the lsboxd messages and the others you've all been talking about.

Anyone else notice the Time Machine issue?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I have one additional symptom no-one else here seems to mention. Time Machine (to a Time Capsule over ethernet, wifi is off) is running very slowly.

I had the problems of black screen when trying to wake from sleep, only a force shutdown with the power button would get it back, although, once only, connecting a MacBook Air over the Cinema Display cable woke it as an external monitor and unplugging took it back to a normal, working display where the iMac was fine.

I took the machine in for the 1TB Seagate HD replacement and upon it's return I did not restore backups. I just set up fresh. Everything ran fine until the first failure to wake finally occurred, since when, I think, the Time Machine has again been slow. Sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes a couple of hours for a few hundred MB's.

I now find the lsboxd messages and the others you've all been talking about.

Anyone else notice the Time Machine issue?

Nope, but mdworker Console messages are ALL over the place - as well as the odd Ethernet disconnection upon waking from sleep...10.8.2 is DEFINITELY the worst 10.x.x update EVER from Apple.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
When I get software hangups, particularly with programs that have networked files open, I can get them going by restarting the network connection. I don't use ifconfig, I just switched between two different network files and back and that does the job.

I think I'll just shut down the computer at night for the time being.

mjrozner

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Mountain Lion 10.8.2 errors

Same mdworker errors in console but new symptom where MacPro WILL NOT SHUTDOWN. If select computer computer sleep 15 minutes every 15 minutes the computer will attempt to sleep, attempt a shutdown and just restart stopping at the logon screen. Leaving it alone at the logon screen results in the computer attempting a sleep cycle, attempting another shutdown and restarting again after 10 seconds returning to the logon screen. This problem started with 10.8.2 update. Hours with Apple Support has not solved this. I swapped memory, reset PRAM, Reset Power Management, used different power source (wall outlet vs APC UPS) to no avail. Apple engineers think I may have logic board or power supply failure causing fail to shutdown problem, but I believe it is 10.8.2 related. We've cleared all caches and I installed a clean Mtn Lion 10.8.2 on an empty hard drive with NO additional Applications or software of any kind installed. Same console errors and failure to shutdown!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.