10.8.3 600 series Nividia

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BigJohno, Mar 14, 2013.

  1. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #1
    Is it safe to upgrade from 10 2 to 10 3 with a 670 installed?
     
  2. sarthak, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

    macrumors 6502

    sarthak

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    It's safe. Running it right now. Except I seem to be getting this weird message in NVIDIA CUDA.

    There is no newer version available.

    [​IMG]
     
  3. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Location:
    Ulladulla, NSW Australia
    #3
    Running a 660 Ti here on 10.8.2 - was going to wait but if you guys feel it is safe to update, I will.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #4
    My only concern is the cuda thing. I need to use it for AE and I don't want to cripple the app because i'm inpatient.
     
  5. macrumors 601

    OrangeSVTguy

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    Location:
    Northeastern Ohio
    #5
    Yeah. I updated to 10.8.3 with my dual 670s and running fine so far. I am also getting the CUDA update but 5.0.37 is the latest update for OSX.
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    sarthak

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    I removed the CUDA preference pane and installed CUDA driver again. Get the same "UPDATE" message. Pops up when you login, quite annoying.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    turtlez

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #7
    we're going to have to just sit tight and wait for nvidia to give us an update. May as well uninstall this one sense it is rendered useless and just serves as an annoyance.
     
  8. tomvos, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

    macrumors regular

    tomvos

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Location:
    In the Nexus.
    #8
    The CUDA drivers depends on a matching video card driver as its counterpart. If you update your system to 10.8.3 then the video driver has a higher version number than the CUDA driver — thus making CUDA at least unstable, but more likely completely disables all CUDA functionality. OpenCL might still work.

    So, if you depend on CUDA for your work, best advise is to stay with 10.8.2 and the 10.8.2 WebDriver from NVidia for a few days longer. Based on the pattern of earlier Mac OS X releases, I think it is safe to assume that NVidia will release an updated CUDA Driver in a few days from now.

    ---

    Update: Here's a semi-official statement in the NVidia forum concerning CUDA drivers for 10.8.3.
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/534924/geforce-drivers/cuda-update-for-mac-os-x-10-8-3/
    Looks like we don't have to wait very long.
     
  9. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2012
    #9
  10. macrumors 6502

    sarthak

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    It seems that has fixed the "update" issue. Works just fine now.
     
  11. macrumors 68000

    m4v3r1ck

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #11
    Thanks for your link! Any idea why no updates from the control panel in sys_prefs? Cheers and have a good tweakend! :cool:
     
  12. macrumors 68000

    m4v3r1ck

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #12
    Thanks for the link! Updated both the GPU driver and CUDA! :cool:

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page