Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trntogl

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
This stinks!

I have noticed my Imac shuts down faster now with ML 10.8.3.

Interesting, mine has totally SLOWED DOWN when booting up and shutting down since I installed Mountain Lion. I wish I never did it, my computer ran perfectly with Snow Leopard but a friend mentioned Mountain Lion being great and works well with iCloud.

Wavs don't work anymore with new email that I had in Sounds.

I am getting pixels in email window preview....

etc etc etc.

Wish I never installed Mountain Lion.

Think I should trying reinstalling? Was at Apple Store because my iCal was not syncing, they fixed that but said my system worked fine otherwise when doing tests. Really? For those that don't think 40 sec. isn't long, I'm glad for you. When you purchase a costly laptop like Apple, it should work better than that. Why they keep changing things that we had liked previously is beyond me.

One thing that everyone seems to want is alphabetical arranging for favorites, it's been mentioned by everyone... every update they put out, it's not there.

Seems folks that have this slower issue with Mountain Lion have tried several fixes and nothing is working, maybe Apple ought to figure out how to send a fix for it? And there are many folks complaining about it, so not everyone doesn't mind the 30+ seconds it takes. Everyone is entitled to their own ...

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I still have slow shutdowns with 10.8.4
Can you check your console logs to confirm this? (I don't have 10.8.4)

1.) Reboot
2.) Launch the "console" app (use spotlight to find it)
3.) Highlight System Log on the side bar of the console app.
4.) Search for "exit timeout" in the upper-right field.

This will list those daemons that didn't close properly thereby causing the delay: Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

If this issue persists in 10.8.4 I have some thinking to do about continuing to support Apple. Not because I can't live with this bug... mainly because I'm getting uncomfortable with Apple's feedback system, their arrogance in prioritizing bugs and also their general incompetence which will only get worse as they continue to de-emphasize OSX.

Anybody opened an issue in the Apple Bug Reporter since 10.8.3 has been released?
I did just in case everybody assumes Apple wasn't informed" but I'm sure my stuff goes to a spam folder by now. No word on duplicate issues.

I'm done reporting now. Besides, all the OSX coders are in the iOS building right now. (All 2 of them).

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Anybody opened an issue in the Apple Bug Reporter since 10.8.3 has been released? Are the bugs still being closed as duplicates?

I'm actually tired of uploading logs since last December...

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

81DElDW.png

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Well, since I posted my fixes, I have updated to 10.8.4 beta, after doing a clean reinstall to fix some other issues I was having.

I am going to have to reapply my fixes for now, but I am not too impressed with waiting longer for my computer to shut down than it takes to start it, open this thread and reply.

I shut down after use, because I don't always know when I am going to use it next, and also, even the minimal power in sleep is still power, so if my MBA somehow gets wet in my travels, I don't want to have to think "OH NO, shut down quickly", then wait 20 seconds, during which my computer could be frying its internals.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

1.) Reboot
2.) Launch the "console" app (use spotlight to find it)
3.) Highlight System Log on the side bar of the console app.
4.) Search for "exit timeout" in the upper-right field.

It's not under system.log Krazy Bill. We talked about this before. It's here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 7.45.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 7.45.23 AM.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 221

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Yes, I know. I just didn't want to instruct people to "drill down" through the menu.

Yes but system.log shows timeouts that are unrelated to shut down. Timeouts can occur at other times too while the system is running and have nothing to do with hanging reboots/shut downs.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I'm getting the same as, adnbek. Nothing else is timing out except apple services. Plus I've read a lot of articles on this recently. It's only a 90% fix. Hence I'm not tampering.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Besides, all the OSX coders are in the iOS building right now. (All 2 of them).

Well, I'm hoping Gruber is wrong on that one.

What bothers me is the actual consequence if true. Both OS X and iOS should be redesigned as anounced by Tim - but as soon as capacities are rare people are pulled from the OS X to support the mobile team. Should sell my Macs und finally get some iPads. Welcome to the future.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I did just in case everybody assumes Apple wasn't informed" but I'm sure my stuff goes to a spam folder by now. No word on duplicate issues.

This is what my ticket shows which was closed as a duplicate - the original one unsurprisingly still is....open....

Attachments

• 2013-05-02.png
    2013-05-02.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 144
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.