10" 'book

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, Jan 31, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Would you guys use a 10" laptop? I know I would. Go portability!

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I had a powerbook 2400c which was 10" I believe, it was great for portability but it was HELL to type on. I would only use a 10"er if I had a desktop at home.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

There was a company I saw in one PC mag from a while ago that was advertising an 8" laptop :eek: It may as well be given a touch-screen and relabled a PDA :p

4. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Keep in mind though that with newer high res screens reading on them wouldn't be as bad as it use to. Also, I did mean as a machine that would be good for portable use, not as the only computer. Or at least have a monitor to hook up to for more screen realestate while at home.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A high res 10" screen would make the text smaller, which would make it harder to use, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. :confused:

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Not necessarily so. Resolution indepenance is something both X and Vista are pushing, due to res getting higher and higher. 10.5 will do this outa the box (10.4 supports it already, but it needs a lot of fiddling to do)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, but that's not now. I'm not even sure if that's gonna happen in Leopard, although I hear they're aiming for res independence in that version.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I wasn't even getting that in depth. I'm saying that a 1024x768 10" screen wouldn't be that hard to read.

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

unless you are vertically challenged, is a 12'' that hefty to "lug around" for the added screen space and adequate keyboard? Seems a little excessive for the average joe :)

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if i had the money, sure. although i might go for toshiba's libretto u101. 1.2ghz pentium-m, 60gb hard drive, 512mb ram....and 7" wxga screen :eek:

11. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm not vertically challenged. Or weak. I just like functionality. This would be a utilitarian thing. It'd be great if I could actually fit my laptop and a notebook on my desk. The 12" almost cuts it for that. Besides, I always try to cut the excess from things. For me, 12" is too much on the go (almost). 10" would be ideal.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if the 10" inch ibook is less than 3.5 lbs. like some small pc subnotebooks, then i would go for it

there is already a built in market for the subnotebook category, so apple inc would not be taking a huge chance on it...the 10" inch lcd screen i have seen on most laptops is actually 10.8" inches or so

fujitsu, toshiba, panasonic, shart, dell, and sony have all made this type of a laptop and www.dynamism.com has models of ultra portables that eventually hit our (usa) shores in a year or so...that site is like looking into the near future for notebooks

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have 3 12" powerbook and the 20" cinema display, I used a 15" PB the other day and it seems so huge!!!

14. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I wouldn't be able to stand a 10" didplay. Wayy to small for me.. I think 12" is the minimum for a useable laptop.

15. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I would have to see it in person. It seems that if they just thinned out the 12-inch iBook and get rid of the extra edge around the screen it would be great for me. I would probably get an "ultra-portable" laptop then have a killer desktop machine.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I tried a 10" Sony one day at CompUSA, and I kept hitting several keys at once. Is it even possible to get a full size KB on that small of a laptop?

17. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I don't think so, the 12 inch iBooks just bearly fits a full sized keyboard it on with a 12 inch screen.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a full sized notebook keyboard seems a little smaller to me than a full sized desktop keyboard, and i have heard the reduced notebook keyboards on most ultraportables is 95% pecent the size of a normal notebook keyboard

but that extra five percent reduction in size is too much for some people...i don't type that fast anyway so when i fool around with a subnotebook keyboard, at 95% percent of the normal size, i make the same amount of mistakes and type just as slowly...but the smaller keyboard does not "hinder" me

but i am a rather small person, 5'7", with small fingers, maybe smaller than average for my height since i have seen many shorter women who have longer fingers

and also that small hockey puck mouse apple used to have, though a little small for me, did not cause terrible carpal tunnel syndrome...but playing fast, repetitive, stupid lead guitar runs in the speed guitar playing days of the 1980s certainly did a number on my wrists and fingers...but that's another story for another thread ;)

now when the keyboard is one fit on a small cellphone/pda unit, then that is too small, even for me

19. G-Prime macrumors member

I am really hoping that Apple puts one out this year. My 12" PowerBook just died and I am hoping to replace it with someting like this. I think the current Sony sub-notebook has a 11.3" screen, 60GB hard disk, dual-layer DVD burner built-in, weighs 2.3 LBS. I really liked it's size and the screen was very readable.

20. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I'd be able to stretch to an 11" Widescreen ultraportable iBook/Macbook/iMacbook and would love to see one if they made it about $200 cheaper than the 12" now. :)
    EDIT: Another point to that.. Wouldn't an 11" Widescreen be able to fit the same sized keyboard as a 12" standard? :)

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The old 10.4 inch machines seemed too small, even with 640x480 displays. I don't mind the current batch of 12 inch models and a widescreen 13.3 inch display would be good.

I think I'd rather have a palm top machine, if I'm going to go smaller than 12 inches.

22. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

The key thing to think of here, is that its not a desktop. When I use my laptop, my face is seriously 1.5ft or so away. On my desktop its normally twice that. So the small screen doesn't but me.

23. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I want the smallest laptop I can get. I don't want to use a stylus on a cell phone or PDA, but I would love something like the VAIO® TX610P/B Notebook - running OS X of course ;)

24. iGary Guest

iGary

My 12" iBook is the perfect portable size. ;) Fits right in my camera bag.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Honestly, is the extra 1" that annoying? I can imagine having a smaller laptop, but I can't imagine it being necessary. It's small enough, IMO.