10 GB or 15 GB New iPod? Help me choose.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sparks9, Apr 29, 2003.

1. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

2. sparks9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW: I love the looks of the new iPod! Even better than the old one. And it's thinner and lighter too, 158 grams, dammit that's not much!!

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

get the 15 gb one, remote, dock,bigger gb, etc..

youll love it:)

4. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Yeah i agree, get the 15. MMmmmm..... drool.

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I'm gettin' the 10GB myself, probably today. The way I see it, I don't need the dock (what's wrong with charging it from my iBook?), I don't need the case/clip (I'd rather shop around for snazzier one anyway), and I don't see myself using the remote (geez, the iPod itself can be used with 1 hand already...). 5GB extra is nice, but 10GB is already waaaaaaaay more than I need for my MP3s now, and anyway I'm a cheap bastard.

6. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Each to their own i suppose, but i feel your pain with the cheap bastard thing. Thats me in a nutshell :D

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've just order the 15GB one, i have about 3GB of music but i'll use the rest for backup purposes.

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yeah I'm just rationalizing to make myself feel better :D

If money was no object I'd obviously pay $200 more for 3 times the space plus all the extra goodies.

9. sparks9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think I'll go with the 15 GB I kind of want the extra goodies with the iPod.

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Excuse this dumb question as I am new to apple. But, can you back up stuff from your mac to your ipod? (pics, docs, etc..) I know you could not view them, but a backup would be nice. Thanks.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmm i used to use my 20gb ipod as a backup device but irealized that i woudl rather have a dedicated drive as backup and my ipod. I always feel like especailyl after i had to restore my ipod b4 the 1.2.6 update so i don't really trust it that much.....

12. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Yes... and you can "view" them if you mean opening them on your or other computers.

13. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I meant view on the ipod.

14. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Never mind - I resolved to buy myself the 30GB. I won't even get into how I rationalized. I just know it will be mine. Oh yes. It will be.

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I ordered the new 10 GB yesterday. It is plenty of space for all of my music that I have. I just didn't think that I really needed the extra goodies.

sparks9 - if you want the 15 gig, then go ahead and get it. :D

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sparks9, don't be a cheap bastard!:p :) the extra 5GB will be good, and don't forget, it's not just an MP3 player, it's an external HD. and also, the remote will be very handy! :)

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Not that I'm an expert, but I suspect that an iPod is not the cheapest firewire harddrive for backup purposes. Obvouusly if it has some extra space for important files, you might as well use it. But if you really want to back up, just buy a large firewire drive.

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

exactly-I plan to buy a 10 gigger, since right now I have like 1.5 gigs of music, and the rest is for legitimate err media :)

19. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

10 giger all the way!

First the DOCK baym whatever..
    this is lame, IMHO.
    Who cares about standing it up in a Dock that scratches it.?

Remotes control? Lame!
    I pick my Album choice and go!
    I like pulling it out and using the screen.
    ANd she likes it also!

The extra 5 gigs worth 100 bucks.
    Nope!

My only wonder is if the quality of the earbuds differ??

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have 6GB's of Futurama episodes that need backing up, i'm wasting cd's here since i can only fit 3 on a disk each time due to their size (220 megs). However, if they brought them out on DVD i would buy them all, as it stands they are (FOX) dragging their heels along the floor. Until they do however, i am going to enjoy what i have for now then buy them. But i am no pirate, i havn't shared these with anyone.

I nearly have the whole series incidentally, all downloaded on 56k as well.

I might be boasting but their is a legitimate need i beleive, if i keep all my episodes on disk, the DVD's they came on are really just a backup disk where i am concerned and who wants to carry umpteen DVD's on them while on the road? Store it on the iPod or the harddrive instead.

Saying that, my personal files amount to 500mb's, the 15GB is going to be perfect for my needs.

21. sparks9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok i'm convinced... :D Thanks for the replies/help.
    I'll buy the 15 gig when it is available in Europe (May 9). Looking forward to it.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

For everybody that says that they only need the x size because they ONLY have y gigs of music and will use the rest for backup purposes, keep this in mind. I bought a 20 gig iPod when I had zero gig of music, but wanted the space in case I wanted to use it as an external hard drive or for whatever. Well, now about 4 months later, I only have 1.2 gig free on my iPod. All music.

The AAC standard will help, but you will be amazed at how quickly that bad boy will fill up.

I can listen to jazz for about 2 days, rock for over a day and a half!

I only got the iPod for my car, and now, I keep it with me most of the time. It's a great little device.

Oh, and the remote is a great thing in the car. You can put your iPod somewhere where your spirited driving won't damage it and run the remote to your lap or whatever and still be able to change songs without reaching for the iPod.

23. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

That settles it, I'm gettin' the 30 GB :D