10 Gig nano, when?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by psychofreak, Nov 28, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Hey, I have a 15GB 3G iPod. I love it, but, I have to say, its getting a bit outdated and the battery life ain't what it used to be. The new nanos are great, but I want bigger storage. Right now my library is only 7GB (I'm only 15, so the cash problem doesn't help), but its quickly expanding. I hate cutting down my library, and as I doubt I will ever play video on it, I don't want a full size 30GB.

I'm really hoping for a 10GB nano, does anyone have any thoughts on how soon this might come?

For now I guess that I will get along fine with my 3G, and laugh at all those Zuners with worse MP3 players than me.:D

2. alywa macrumors 6502

Who knows? Based on the recent releases, I'd imagine an update late spring or so, with the possibiliby of 4, 8, and 16 GB models.

This, however, is pure speculation.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As with many iPod users, you may have to start getting used to only carrying 'round part of your collection. Your iTunes library is only going to grow larger and iPods probably won't be able to keep up. I recommend using Smart Playlists to get the tracks you want onto the iPod. :)

4. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

now you can see the pattern since nano had released. in 2005, nano was 4GB then got 2, 1GB each. this year, 2, 4, 8GB. guess what? in 2007, it will be 4, 8, 16GB. of course, the price will be the same. however, there is no 10GB flash memory. it could be made. but it's easy to make double for mass production.

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Watch for announcements at MacWorld in January 2007. I would not be surprised if Apple announces the availability of a 12 GB nano.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would.

id say the next update is probably late spring/early summer

7. MacMan2000 macrumors newbie

Nano

psychofreak, I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as you are (with the exception of my collection being 6.2 GB and growing). I was going to get the 8 GB nano but decided against it after checking the history of the nano's update cycle. Apple released the nano on 9/7/05 and then added the 1 GB model to the lineup in early Feb. of this year. Most recently, they upgraded the nano to the second generation aluminum model on Sept. 12. I think they'll update the storage space a month or two after the holiday season, keeping in line with the (roughly) 6-month long update cycle, especially since it was originally thought that the 12 GB model would be part of the most recent revision due to available supplies of 12 GB seagate drives. Apple does have to remain relatively competitve when it comes to disk space, so I doubt they'd wait too long (read: late spring) to upgrade it.

8. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

usually macworld is not for annoucing ipod. it's for mac. september is ipod season.