10 most important games ever

Discussion in 'Games' started by Schmittroth, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

This is from the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/a...74449600&en=8e3cd79251fdc53c&ei=5070&emc=eta1

[Henry] Lowood [(curator of the History of Science and Technology Collections at Stanford University)] and the four members of his committee — the game designers Warren Spector and Steve Meretzky; Matteo Bittanti, an academic researcher; and Christopher Grant, a game journalist — announced their list of the 10 most important video games of all time: Spacewar! (1962), Star Raiders (1979), Zork (1980), Tetris (1985), SimCity (1989), Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990), Civilization I/II (1991), Doom (1993), Warcraft series (beginning 1994) and Sensible World of Soccer (1994).

I've never heard of the soccer one or Star Raiders? Anyone? I can't think of a reason to bump any of the others. There's always arguments for other games but there are no arguments against this list either.

I remember a Spacewar clone was the first video game I mastered.

2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Star Raiders was essentially the first POV shooter game. I had for my atari 2600. I belive it ven came with a separate keypad contral for additional features in the game.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wolfenstein 3d, without it Doom wouldnt been born, the list of games they choose is sorry. Ill leave it at that.

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Not really from the same period as those on that list, but i would say any GTA should have a spot on that list. They have always been a great games, and have inspired countless knockoffs.

5. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

interesting read..... video games must definitely be considered when writing the pop culture section of history books

6. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i think that list is horrible... i've only heard of about half the games on that list. =/

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not countless.

I say it's a great game but not super important (disregarding sales). Wasn't it based upon Blast Corps?

I say...

Take out Mario 3, replace with either Mario Bros 1 or Mario World.
    Mario 64 needs to go in there (so many firsts with that game)
    Tomb Raider 1 should definitely be in there.
    Metal Gear, either 1 or Solid.
    Gran Tourismo?
    World of Warcraft.
    Sensible World of Soccer? Why?!
    Halo or Goldeneye too. They revolutionised console FPS games.

8. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I think this is actually a decent list, but I'm pretty old (30's) I think the point is to show games that introduced "firsts" (first POV game, first "god" game) You can actually see where some games wouldn't have existed if these games weren't invented.

I can remember being in high school and playing Sim City for the first time as an actual semester long class!

Without it there would be no Madden as you know it.

9. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

1. Max Payne

2. GTA: Vice City

3. Test Drive 6

4. Halo 2

5. Age of Empires 3

6. Driver 3

7. Midnight Club

8. Age of Empires 2

9. Nanosaur

10. Driver 2

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm surprised that I don't know much about this game... I know every other video game on the list and played it at least briefly... so this game was more influential, in 1994, to the growth of the whole sports genre than, say, the old Commodore / etc baseball and football games, or than Tecmo, NBA Jams, etc, other influential sports games?

EDIT: I looked this game up online, and I do recognize it by look from Amiga magazines or demos or something from the day. I still wonder, though....

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Er...what the heck kind of list is that? This topic is about "the top 10 most important games of all time", not "some 10 random games that I happen to like".... :rolleyes:

And yes, I've heard of Star Raiders and Sensi Soccer; probably if you're European you have a higher chance of knowing about the latter. It was pretty massive. You can quibble with a few of the choices, but it seems pretty accurate overall.

--Eric

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You're joking right?

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh noes! :D

Don't worry, he is.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Interestingly my Game Plan book lists what they say are the best designed games of all time (in release order)...

Populous
    Street Fighter 2
    Super Mario 64
    Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
    Tomb Raider
    Gran Tourismo
    Half Life
    Metal Gear Solid
    Everquest
    The Sims

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would at least thought Metroid, tomb raider and Metal Gear would be up there...oh well

Bless

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Their assessments differs from mine when it comes to this subject and are too limiting.

What about games like Dune 2? without it, there would be no Warcraft or any RTS for that matter. Everyone I know my age, have played this game to death, it's why we bought Wacraft when it was released. It's why we played Command and Conquer...

Ultima Underworld was the very first continuous dungeon game. It cameout before Wolfenstien 3D and was actually more advanced in its engine. It's why I upgraded to a 386. ID has stated that Wolfenstien 3D and Doom were inspired by this game. So remove UW and you don't have Doom.

What about Utlima on the PC. What about Mail order Monster. What about Star Control 2, which is based on StarFlight 1.

I'm OK with SMB, but Zelda on the NES was also as defining of a console game to the industry.

I find it funny that our age determines what we deem worthy to be on this list. :eek:

Blah.

<]=)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Pacman and Donkey kong should have a place on that list as well...well its on my list.

Bless

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems to me that this series deserves some kind of mention somewhere....

19. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

What? Do you even read thread titles?

Max payne blew btw.

20. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

actually, I think those 2 are valid. I'm sure they'll be added to the list.

21. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Grand Theft Auto SA is my all time most significant game ever played - first time you could jack anything that moves, swim run or jump, no boundaries. Only thing that's missing is a point break.:cool: Sure there's room for improvement, but way to set the bar high Rockstar.

22. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Definitely Pac-man. Not sure on Kong, but certainly in the running.

What about Pong?

What about Myst?

What about Madden football?

BTW, I find the list of "most important video games" to be something of any oxymoron, but I see where they're coming from.

23. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I'd second the votes for Dune 2 and Ultima Underworld. Two of the most innovative and important games of all time.

I'd also add Elite to the mix.

24. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I agree - how can you leave Wolf 3D out of a list like that?

25. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Because Star Raiders was the first point-of-view shooter...

Great games though. I remember playing the original Castle Wolfestein on an Apple IIe in middle school. It wasn't 3d, but it was cool. loaded it off a 5.25 floppy...