10 Reasons I won't use iTMS

Discussion in 'iPod' started by oban14, Apr 2, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

01 - A lot of music fans prefer to listen to entire albums from start to finish rather than picking tracks from an album to put into a playlist. Get used to it.

02 - A lot of music fans are happy to go and hunt down CDs at the cheapest prices possible which ultimately means it costs less for a CD than it does buying the tracks individually on iTunes. Get used to it.

03 - A lot of music fans prefer to buy their music on CD (even vinyl) to get what they believe is the best reproduction of that music on their hifi equipment rather than paying for lossy downloads. Get used to it.

04 - A lot of music fans find CDs excellent value for money. This is because they are discerning people who may break the law occasionally by downloading an album from BitTorrent or Usenet but ultimately buy the album if it is good. This means they never buy a bad CD meaning they are very pleased with CDs as a product and are more likely to go buy even more of them. Get used to it.

05 - Not all albums have only one or two good tracks on them. If you consider this justification for buying music track-by-track then knock yourselves out. However, by diligent selection, it is entirely possible to find wholly excellent albums that will keep you listening from start to finish. Get used to it.

06 - A lot of music fans are not politicians. If Sony, EMI or one of the big record companies release a good album, they will go buy it and enjoy it. They will possibly also go check out the product of small independent labels. If they are kept satisfied by good music and enough of it, they really don't care who marketed it. Get used to it.

07 - A lot of music fans feel they get more for their money by getting a plastic case, disk and some sleevenotes to read on the toilet rather than downloading it. Get used to it.

08 - A lot of music fans do own iPods and non-proprietary players in order to play the music they themselves have ripped from their own collections as a matter of portability and convenience and never once go anywhere near iTunes. Get used to it.

09 - A lot of CD-buying music fans hate music thieves because the former end up subsidising the latter by virtue of what they buy. Get used to it.

10 - By virtue of being a CD-buying music fan, it is perfectly possible to be an honest user of music whilst hating DRM and DRM-peddlars like Apple and iTunes. Get used to it.
    :cool:

2. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Fine, but 4 billion+ songs sold can't be completely wrong.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obviously. I suppose I'd consider iTMS under a few conditions:

1) Choice of format and bit rate, preferably FLAC but 320 MP3s would be okay.
    2) Absolutely no DRM.
    3) Cut the prices in half.
    4) You buy the rights to the song - if your collection gets wiped out, you can re-download all the songs for free. You can also transfer (sell) ownership rights of these songs to someone else.

4. macrumors 68000

dsnort

10 Reasons Why I Don't Care That You Won't Use iTMS

Just kidding. Go ahead, express yourself! :)

5. macrumors 6502a

Then don't use iTunes Music Store and stop moaning about it.

My Mum always said "If you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

6. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

no i totally agree, im not joking, who cares, don't use it, they aren't going to shut it down cuz you don't shop there

7. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1. you can buy full albums on iTunes

2. convenience is also good. I'd rather pay £1 extra than spend my time walking to lots of music stores checking the prices.

3. Fair point but i doubt it will be long before lossless downloads are offered.

4. hardly a reason and "A lot of CD-buying music fans hate music thieves" :rolleyes:

5. So you are cutting your nose off to spite your face. i.e. missing out on those two good tracks just because the album on the whole is rubbish. :rolleyes:

6. There are lots of independents on iTunes last time I checked.

7. fair point

8. I don't see how this is related to iTMS.

9. I don't see how this is related to iTMS.

10. Remember the Sony rootkit on CDs :rolleyes:. Also there is a movement towards non DRM in this field.

get used to it :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68040

decksnap

Why does get used to it every sentence get used to it have to say get used to it get used to it at the get used to it end? I don't think anyone has to get used to or will notice you not using itms.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. Can I sell them to someone else? What happens if my hard drive dies, can I just download them all over again? Is the quality as good as a CD?

If the answer to the above questions are all "no", we don't really need to go further. But hey, I'll humour you.

2. I buy 90% of my CDs online. half.com is just as easy as anything else online.

3. When lossless, uncrippled downloads are offered, I'll consider changing my point of view.

4. Personally, I see nothing wrong with someone downloading an album off of bittorrent or anywhere else, provided they delete it if they don't like it and buy it if they keep it. That's a moral call, though, and I know the law says differently in many countries.

5. I can still buy CD singles at a much cheaper price. I typically pay anywhere from 1.00 to 6.00 per album. Add a few bucks for shipping and it's still just as cheap... with all of these benefits:

1) No DRM
    2) I can sell, lend, do whatever I want with it. I own it.
    3) Rip into any quality and format I require.

6. There are even more independents NOT on iTunes.

7. Glad we can finally agree. ;)

8. The point is that you do not need iTunes... and iTunes can in fact be quite restrictive if you wanted to own an MP3 player with better sound quality than an iPod, for example.

9. You might be right. :eek:

10. The sony rootkit didn't hurt my mac much at all... how about yours? Again, if they get rid of the DRM and meet my other requirements I'll happily change my "tune", so to speak. :cool:

10. macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy that you're not using iTMS.

Get used to it.

11. macrumors 68000

dsnort

I didn't read his post, didn't even notice that. It is sort of obnoxious. Kind of like those people that state their opinion, with no supporting fact, then qualify it all with "End of story". WTF, that doesn't even work in Philadelphia!

12. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1. Granted but as I said it is shifting towards high bit rates. The ability to sell them on is not something I had previously considered and as fair point.

2. Instant gratification is also a factor rather than having to wait for it to arrive but yes you can get it cheaper elsewhere but then again that arguement can also be levelled at amazon or any other retailer that is more expensive than the place you buy it from.

3. Thats what we all want

4. Have you considered that by downloading of bit torrent (even if you later delete it and buy the album) you are actually supporting those that wont because it uploads as well.

5. Pricing again refer to point 2 but the other benefits are good. You can burn the purchases though quite easily

6. Yes that is true but you seemed to suggest that only the big labels are on iTunes which isn't true.

7. yes

8. But not using iTunes is different to not using iTMS so it can not be a reason as to why you are not using iTMS.

9. yes

10. It didn't hurt my mac, but then again neither does the DRM and that isn't the point. DRM is less of a problem than some of the things that go one out there and the sony rootkit on CDs was actually very bad and worse than a little bit of DRM.

13. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Starting each point with a broad generalisation "A lot of music fans" and ending it "Get used to it" doesn't really add anything to the credibility of each point.

14. macrumors 601

Phil A.

I've bought all my music from iTMS since it was available in the UK. I've found some albums are cheaper than CD, and some are more expensive but not significantly, and certainly not to the extent it makes a difference.
    iTMS has opened my eyes to many new artists through the "recommendations" on there, and has been a completely hassle-free experience.
    I don't understand your problem with not being able to re-download if your machine goes wrong: simply back up your music! If you buy a CD and damage it / lose it, you don't expect to be able to go back to the store and pick another one up, do you?
    Also, what's the problem with DRM? Is it a practical or "moral" objection? Personally, I've never found it a problem at all, and if I wanted to move away from the iPod family, I can simply burn my music to audio CDs and re-rip them.
    I guess it's horses for courses: get used to it ;)

15. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

all of your points are valid. or at least a absolutey understandable personal choice (like reading album inserts on the toilet). i just don't get the "get used to it" thing. nobody is against your point of view. no reason to defend your point of view. so what is the point anyway:confused:

16. macrumors 68020

theBB

What happens if your CD gets scratched or lost, do the retailers give you another one?

Yes, it would be nice if Apple has offered a re-download option, but compared to CDs, the current situation is no worse.

17. macrumors 68020

northy124

@OP WTF is
    For it's kind of annoying.

BTW what are you basing your comments on about "everyone else" doing this and that. Where are the facts that most people do that. Who cares if you like CD more than iTunes, Personally I like iTunes More than CD for simplicity.

My 2¢

Northy

18. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

This is nothing wrong with NOT using iTMS. The original iTunes didn't have a music store section and Apple encouraged users to rip CDs in their ads.

Isn't it cool that you can preview music and discover new music and music that you are looking for on iTMS and then go out and buy the CD for less without DRM?

19. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think what is worse is that you wrote "get used to it" after every sentence. I for one am used to it and I couldn't care less what your issues are. You say "a lot of music fans" really? Who? Am I less of a fan because I use iTunes? Don't answer that because your opinion doesn't actually matter to me. get used to it.

I think you're misguided but if you want to buy CDs then buy CDs. I still buy DVDs but I don't bother telling people why I don't make liberal use of iTunes movie downloads. I just get used to it.

20. macrumors 604

zap2

Ok, I'm used to it....

But I'll still use iTMS..soooo, you can buy from the store, and I'll use iTunes, and everyone is happy, right?

21. macrumors regular

worriedmac

mp3 files are horrible sound quality unless you use a bit rate over 300.

22. Retired

psychofreak

Most people can't tell, in fact most people's headphones aren't good enough to distinguish.

23. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im still happy, if i want it to be better quality i convert it to lossless which i prefer anyways

24. macrumors 68040

Killyp

A good reason to use AAC, which sounds acceptable from 224k upwards...

25. macrumors regular

worriedmac

I do like finding the drm free stuff on itunes. I prefer that to CD's and I never touch mp3's anymore. I only really like to buy CD's that have a different case than the usual plastic ones. The Gotan Project for instance. Meh buy whatever takes your fancy in the end.