10 second freezes all day long

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DalTek, Jun 3, 2004.

1. DalTek macrumors newbie

I'm on a mac at work currently, and it freezes up for about 5 seconds all day long.

It's always in the same pattern. Freezes for 5 seconds, fine for 5 seconds freezes for 5 seconds. It's fine for about 15 minutes then then it freezes again.

I can still move my mouse and i my music doesnt pause, but everything is un-responive.

Any suggestions? It's really annoying.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

you can run 'top' in terminal to see what might be grabbing all the CPU/memory. For more information run 'man top' in terminal to learn all about the command.

3. DalTek thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention i'm running OS 9.2.

Is their a way to access the terminal? I couldn't find one.

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

No, there is no terminal in OS 9. You could try running Disk First Aid? It's under Applications/Utilities.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

Are you running 9.2 or 9.2.2? It could be a glitched that Apple fixed in the updates. If I were you, I would format your computer and install Tiger when it comes out :)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of computer are you using? And are you connected to a server at work to access files? If that server is slow then that might be the reason you are getting slow performance. I also think that if the server is running Mac OS X, then performance on Classic can be really, really slow. That's the case at school at least :(

6. DalTek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure i'm running 9.2.2. I dont' have a lot of control of whats installed on the computer. It's a G4 866mhz. I'm connected to a Windows2k Server, but this is the only mac in the place that has this problem.

I've tried running Techtools, rebuilt the desktop and cleaned the PRAM.
    Then I ran norton's disc doctor.

This seems to have improved it quite a bit, but its still there.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Have you considered u/g to OS X? The machine seems fast enough and you *should* be able to run any classic applications you might need.

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Did you try (or can you?) removing it from the server? At least maybe you could tell if it was a problem being connected to the network or it was something else.

9. DalTek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to upgrade to OSX but it doesn't support the version of software that I'm forced to use.

As to removing myself from the network I'll try that later. Everything I work on is on the server though.