10 startup problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kaltsasa, Oct 15, 2002.

1. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    This is a message from a friend of mine. I have seen this problem twice before. Once on ain ibook 500(mac os 10.1.5) with 256 MB Ram. And a powerbook 667(mac os 10.1.4) with 512 MB Ram. The only thing i was able to do with the other ones was wipe them and reinstall. once is a fluke, twice is odd, three times is a bug. I have sent an email out to apple and currently waiting for a reply. Has anyone else seen this problem and had any luck with it.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Ok, well this might now help, but it's worth a shot. Is his firmware updated all the way? 160MB of RAM is pretty anemic for OS X, and I have found that Jaguar, while snappy on a G4, is a little sluggish on the older G3's. Maybe your RAM is bad. You checked System Profiler? I don't know. I guess I'm really not much help. Sorry.

3. mmcneil macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Try Repair Permissions

Open the Disk Utility - Select Disk First aid - select "Repair Permissions" then select "Repair" - I'm not sure why permissions get so screwed up, but they do and when I ran this it significantly improved the performance of my tibook.

I agree that 160M RAM is very small for Jaguar - it seems much more memory intensive than 10.1. 256M goes for about $50 these days, actually I just sold TWO on ebay for $50.:)