10 year old boy hangs himself

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bobdude161, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Link

That is f****d up.

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

3. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

the media, the government or the inquisitiveness of a 10 year old.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah horrible news, the same happened with a 15 year old Indian girl.

Link

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Kids are very impressionable so its up to the parents to be there and monitor what the kids are doing.

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Yeah, this is just wrong :(

8. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

speaking from a mother's point of view. It is hard to keep tabs on your kids 24/7. If you did you would suffocate them. I am real sorry that this had to happen to him and his parents. And yes, his parents should have gotten concerned about his interest in the hanging, but why would they think that their son would try something like that?

My son locked himself in my trunk one time. I am just so thankful that I had to go out there to my car at the time and heard him in there. If not I would definitely be writing a different ending than this one. The close call certainly curtailed his actions for awhile.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Condolences to all who lost loved ones through reckless Saddam impersonation.

There's also a 10 year old boy from Pakistan who was "attempting to imitate the hanging," and succeeding.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Or the stupidity of letting a 10 year old kid watch the news.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just for a little context, though I know it's dreadfully depressing:

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/00046149.htm

There's a lot of it about. :(

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are loads of people who have seen that people have killed themselves (e.g. jumping off buildings), don't think that 10 year olds in general are that ignorant of consequences. There is NO way I would consider hanging myself at 10, would you have?

Hangings used to happen all the time. People jump off buildings all the time. Do not blame the media or parents when it is clearly the kid. I am fairly sure that most (if not all) had heard of people jumping off buildings to commit suicide by the time you were ten.

I am sorry he and others are dead, but come on...

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It happens for very good reasons or no reason at all. Children's minds are very volatile places.

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I should have worded my response more clearly. Not blaming the uncle, just pointing out that it's not appropriate for a 10 year old to be watching the news. Clearly the kid had issues.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I disagree. Why shouldn't a 10 year old watch the news, particularly in the company of adults to explain and put things into context? Is this an example of where by not showing the actual hanging, things weren't as clear? :confused: Seriously, I'm not sure why it's a bad thing for a 10 year old to get some idea of the wider world.

I remember watching the news by the time I was 10 although probably more the Newsround (BBC news written and presented for kids) and the early evening bulletins than the main evening news. I remember the miners' strike, the Falklands and the Blue Peter garden being vandalised :p

At least in the UK, they tend to be more wary of what footage is shown on the main bulletins before the watershed. The more 'hairy' stuff is available on BBC News 24 on the grounds that then you're looking for the full story and kids are less likely to stumble across it.

16. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Marilyn Manson!

Why is it suddenly because of sadams hanging that the boy felt like mimicking this? There are lots of kids younger than that questioning suicide. So he is "happy and curious" by the parents terms doesn't mean crap. No offense to all the parents on here but they don't know crap about what there kids are feeling, no matte what you all say I'll stick by that.

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I gotta be honest, I'll take a 10 year old who not only watches the news but has that self drive to learn over another 10 year who just sits on his rear and plays games all day...

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The only comment in this thread that I can agree with.

Why do we need to find someone to blame for tragedies?

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Wow, thats really sad and messed up at the same time. o_O :(

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Because it's safer than cursing god?

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've heard of/read about several kids asphyxiating themselves by playing the choking game. Who knows where that one came from and why they thought it was a good idea for a game. :(

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And everyone was upset about what the kids would do after seeing Janet Jackson's exposed tit :rolleyes:

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not saying that kids should not watch the news but that a parent should be there to explain the images. I also don't think a 10 year old has the capacity to understand what he is seeing so what is he really learning. Kids will mimic images as opposed to digest them.

24. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Mostly children mimic children. Not adults. In numerous psychological studies children have been tested: Group A Watching kids on TV doing X. and Group B watching adults on TV doing X. Group A almost all completely 100% following what the kids in group on tv did, while almost all the kids in group B did nothing of the sort of following the adults. Not saying that this kid couldn't mimic Saddam. Just saying a fact I once learned in a few psychology classes.

25. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

I'm sorry, but this is a very ignorant statement.

The news isn't at fault what so ever. Take for example the media in other parts of the world (i.e. Mexico, Europe, Asia) where they show everything, the decapitations before and after and I'm not just talking about Saddam's hanging, but other gruesome acts that occur in the world. But do we have a bunch of kids killing themselves everyday?

The news has nothing to do with this boy's actions, the blame should be placed solely on the parents (or family) who didn't communicate enough with the boy and thoroughly explain everything to him.