Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
When using some apps with a volume slider with a dock connector it will not show the volume now and say "Dock Connection" since it doesn't need it anyway. I am hoping that 3.0 software will allow apps like Slacker and Pandora to skip to the next track by hitting the next track on my car stereo.

that one's already up there but it also disappears in the music app (or iPod app if using an iPhone) and on the playback controls when double clicking the home button. it will also disappear if you are not connected to a dock and if no headphones are inserted.

Do we know if your calendars now match the same colours as your iCal? And if we change the calendar colour in iCal does it update on the iPhone as well?

i would check but i don't have a mac so i don't have iCal. sorry

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
In 3.0, there appears to be no limit to the number of apps you can have installed. Although it stops with 11 pages, it just doesn't show icons for any apps you install beyond that. I have 203 applications installed, 67 of which are not accessible via the home screen, yet show up as search results in Spotlight.

img0028.png

I wonder if you would be able to choose which icons are hidden. I remember once i moved an icon to my last screen which was full and it forced the last icon on that screen to disappear.

"• on previous versions, whenever you restored from a back up, the original apple applications would go back to the position they were at before the restore but the app store applications wouldn't. now, app store applications go back to their position from before the restore"

BEST NEW FEATURE - especially if you have to do some funny install technique in order to get your least liked apps to disappear.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
BEST NEW FEATURE - especially if you have to do some funny install technique in order to get your least liked apps to disappear.

Too bad they didn't make it so you can press and hold the icon like when you delete and on the opposite corner make a hide x or something. That would be great for apps you want but don't NEED on a home screen.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
"• on previous versions, whenever you restored from a back up, the original apple applications would go back to the position they were at before the restore but the app store applications wouldn't. now, app store applications go back to their position from before the restore"

agreed. i used to restore a lot (i was kept going from jailbroken to not jailbroken, i couldn't make up my mind :rolleyes: ) so i always had to rearrange the icons when i was done but i could never remember the exact spot they were in and it got on my nerves. eventually i just started taking screenshots and going by that.

"• when moving icons on the home screen and you move an app to a different page, if you keep the icon to the edge of the page it will go on to the next page. previously you have to move the icon away from the edge before you could keep moving it to other pages."

i also like his one because i used to always mess up my arrangement if i had to move icons across full pages.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
agreed. i used to restore a lot (i was kept going from jailbroken to not jailbroken, i couldn't make up my mind :rolleyes: ) so i always had to rearrange the icons when i was done but i could never remember the exact spot they were in and it got on my nerves. eventually i just started taking screenshots and going by that.

Yea, I have all my pages full and I keep them organized. it was torture putting them back after a restore and a reason I would not restore that much.

The iPhone works so much better if you restore every two or three weeks.

Too bad they didn't make it so you can press and hold the icon like when you delete and on the opposite corner make a hide x or something. That would be great for apps you want but don't NEED on a home screen.

Wow, what an idea!!! There are just so many apps I want to keep but will only use every couple of months...

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
i wonder if you can use the hide method to hide the crappy stocks and weather app.

EDIT: yes that works. i don't have to deal with them anymore :D

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
i wonder if you can use the hide method to hide the crappy stocks and weather app.

EDIT: yes that works. i don't have to deal with them anymore :D

What is the "hide method"? Just filling the last page then pushing them off of that last screen or is there something more official?

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
What is the "hide method"? Just filling the last page then pushing them off of that last screen or is there something more official?

yes. fill up your last page and put the icon that you don't want as the last one. now move one more icons to that page and that last one will disappear. as far as i know this is the only was to do it.

mconnor379

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
i guess you need a faster processor to disply battery life by percentage. This is a big **** you apple. They have no way to say this is even remotely hardware related. neither is anything else except magnetometer. Somebody needs to hack the 3gs firmware and get the features for us 3G'ers!!!

I agree fully. Jailbreaked iPhones have had video capture for MONTHS, and there's not hardware limitation for voice recognition either. Wouldn't be so bad if us 3G owners could upgrade at the "newbie" price, but since we can't it'd be nice if Apple didn't omit features from the 3G version of 3.0 simply to try and differentiate it from the 3GS a bit more. Can't help but feel a bit like a pair of Chinese fingercuffs, getting it from both ends.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
I agree fully. Jailbreaked iPhones have had video capture for MONTHS, and there's not hardware limitation for voice recognition either. Wouldn't be so bad if us 3G owners could upgrade at the "newbie" price, but since we can't it'd be nice if Apple didn't omit features from the 3G version of 3.0 simply to try and differentiate it from the 3GS a bit more. Can't help but feel a bit like a pair of Chinese fingercuffs, getting it from both ends.

yea. the original iPhones can use MMS when jailbroken too but apple said that only the 3G and 3GS were getting it due to "hardware limitation."

rpeterslll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
MMS is currently working on my phone in the US with AT&T.

I noticed when sending out a text to multiple recipients, the message sends as a group MMS. Any message that gets replied back to my group SMS stays in the same conversation as the original group SMS I sent out and doesnt get placed in a seperate SMS conversation.

Each message has the name from the person who sent the reply to the group MMS. Attached is a screen shot that shows the feature better.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.PNG
    IMG_0088.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 131

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
MMS is currently working on my phone in the US with AT&T.

I noticed when sending out a text to multiple recipients, the message sends as a group MMS. Any message that gets replied back to my group SMS stays in the same conversation as the original group SMS I sent out and doesnt get placed in a seperate SMS conversation.

Each message has the name from the person who sent the reply to the group MMS. Attached is a screen shot that shows the feature better.

Nice! Next, Apple should make something like a "conference call" in text messaging.

BMac702

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Its not really a feature but i noticed for my iPhone, when i reboot it, it shows the Apple logo and then it shows a black screen for a few seconds then the lock screen pops up. As opposed to 2.x.x where the apple logo would be there during the entire boot process and then it would go straight to the homescreen

VespR

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
I was crossing my fingers, but yet again, it was not included... Bah. I was thinking about jailbreaking my phone, just to get that feature... I don't really care about the 3rd party apps, not anymore...

I've got the battery % on my iPhone with OS 3.0 GM. Though I had previously jailbroken mine to show it. Now I get the battery percentage and the bar. Looks odd with both..

Also I used BossPrefs to hide 'Stocks' because I never used that or even want it on my iPhone. It hasn't returned in OS 3.0 GM.

web.jpg

Apologies, got to page 3 and this had been cleared up.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
here's something i'd like to see, available in 3.0?

if you have a contact you'd like to text, and they have 3 phone numbers such as mobile, home and work

you obviously cannot text their home or work number, yet when you click 'text message' you have the option to choose between the 3.

is there a way to set the permissions for a particular tag?

like: mobile - yes. home - no. work - no. fax - no.

etc

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
here's something i'd like to see, available in 3.0?

if you have a contact you'd like to text, and they have 3 phone numbers such as mobile, home and work

you obviously cannot text their home or work number, yet when you click 'text message' you have the option to choose between the 3.

is there a way to set the permissions for a particular tag?

like: mobile - yes. home - no. work - no. fax - no.

etc
FYI it *is* possible to text a landline (dunno about in the States, but in Canada it gets read back to you), but you're right, 99.99% of texts are sent to cell phones, so it would be really good if the OS filtered out non-mobile numbers. I guess the issue is that you could have a person's work number listed under "work", but it still could be a cell number that you might want to text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.