$100 a bottle for beer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Samuel Adams unveiled a new limited edition brew named Utopias, for $100 a bottle. It's 50 proof and they claim it is an after-dinner drink. It certainly doesn't sound like beer you'd grab a six-pack of while watching the game!

They had a beer tasting for it Monday in Minneapolis, which generated lots of little TV news stories, like this one, complete with a home-movie quality video (note: an ad comes first) of people taste-testing it like wine.

Here is a review page.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

"One hundred (dollar) bottles of beer on the wall, one hundred (dollar) bottles of beer..."

Though I don't care for Sammy A, I'd try a sip. It's amusing the ideas people come up with to help separate yuppies from their disposable incomes. It can't all be strip-clubs and cocaine!

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

50 proof? Yikes! That's not beer.

I got hammered off Barley Wine once that was 22 proof... man that was bad. Great stuff, but what a kick.

But hey, rich folks spend $100 on a bottle of champagne, so why not beer?

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

And I used to feel excessive for spending $30 on a case of imported beer like Grolsch or Carlsberg Elephant...

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

jesus, 50 proof!!!

Last weekend I imbibed of some 10% alcohol beer (not sure what that comes into in proofs, but to compare %s, budweiser is ~5%)....i could barely stand after four of them.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Sort of raises the bar on that song to the tune of $10 Grand plus tax :cool:
    X

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

US Proof 100% by volume = 200 proof, so 50 proof would be 25% alcohol by volume

Imperial proof is 57.1% by volume = 100 proof or 100% by volume = 175 proof -- 7/8ths the American measure

80 proof (American) = 70 proof (British)

http://www.sizes.com/units/proof_alcoholic.htm

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

awesome stuff. actually went to denmark to the brewery and they have tons of different kinds too.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Reminds me of a growing trend of some American wineries that are marketing a really high proof (like vodka) wine as your typical dinner wines. Heard it on the radio/ news awhile back...

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

man, I thought the US 'proof' was already bizarre, but , 57.1 %?? that's just weird.
    I don't want to start a flame war (especially with the quantity of highly flammable liquids floating around in this thread), but why are the british so keen on utterly nonsensical measurement systems? why on earth we don't just go all metric and drop once and for all Fahrenheits and similar idiocies goes mindboggingly beyond my ability to comprehend.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You'd think that high-end beer connoisseurs would not be drawn in by the "it must be better because it has three or four times the alcohol of beer" line of thinking.... :rolleyes:

I will pay more for really good beer, but this doesn't sound anything like beer to me either. :( Well, and I don't know how often I would pay $100 for a beer, even if it was amazing. But I would probably prefer to pay more for really good beer than for wine. I am not a big fan of wine. I've never been able to get myself to like it for some reason. So it's all beer and mixed drinks for me. And occasionally something like cognac.

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

And why are American railroad tracks always 4 feet 8.5 inches apart? (answer)

Yeah! Let's educate one bilingual generation (equally versed in standard and metric) and then train their children to be totally metric. On the other hand, railroads and beer drinkers might not want anybody to touch their traditions.

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

That's a lot of ethanol!!!

14. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I do want to try it and see for myself that it's worth $100. Samuel Adams do make good beer. :D

Hmm...an after dinner beer...new concept

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

i like sparks beer. its cheap, tastes good, has energy stuff in it.

everclear is the death liquor. is like 175 proof.

16. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I love Sammy. This would be a cool bottle to add to my home...though knowing how anal I am I would have to keep it sealed and not drink it :rolleyes:

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I have a hard time spending $5 on one beer at beer gardens let alone $100 for one.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

hehe. i still like the horse's arse story better :)

not sure about railroads, but I would surmise that there are a few beer drinkers in germany and a couple other places that are fairly satisfied with their drink being measured in % alcohol :)

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

And I give you "Everclear", by Roger Creager...

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ugh... I had a roommate once who would drink Everclear straight. Of course he also shot speed through a horse-sized needle too. Nice guy though, despite his chemical problems. He did HVAC work in Phoenix, which means handling sheet metal that's been sitting in 120 degree heat in the summer... bound to have an effect on your mental state.

We did the Everclear-in-the-watermelon thing one night too... Was one of the nights I spent driving the porcelain school bus. :eek:

21. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Actually, I think Sam Adams does this every so often. I'd heard of this Utopia beer previously. I'm not a beer drinker, but I've heard this stuff tastes great.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

50 proof? I think the flavor of the beer's going to be over powered by the alcohol...

Not sure I'd want it, though...

D

23. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Exactly the same words came out of my mouth. Your liver will be on the verge of liver damage (shoot right through the fatty liver sympton) if you consume a 6 pack of that beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.