100 Gig Storage on a CD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr. Anderson, May 27, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

That seems pretty cool. I heard that (actually someone posted this before me) there are suposibly 27GB disks that use blue light technology. But, obviously, that would be left in the dust.

It's amazing to see how technology seems to advance over the years...maybe by 2010 there will be a new name for a DVD and it can store 1TB of data! Yes, I'll keep dreaming. :)

Fear the King.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Your probly right man.

I mean, think...around 10 years ago...we could only carry about 100k to 1MB of information.

Now, we can carry up to 4.x GB. Thats about 4,000 times better!

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

If you read the article it says that the Blue laser is a SIMILAR process. Also. they expect a commercial product for 2005 or 2006. So, we have a while to wait. From the sound of it, it'll be here before the blue laser proccess

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ya its amazing how much in technology has happened in the last 10 years, but then again theres technology (aka copy proof cds) that has been hacked :s lol

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

yeah.. totally, technology has become so much better...

i remember reading an article from an old article of a magazine boasting one of the first ibm hds that could only hold a few megs.. let alone a few gigs.

man, and to think that punchcards could hold a few holes that represented only bytes!

crazy...

7. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

the best i've heard is 600 GB (yes 600) on a penny-sized

8. sageenos macrumors member

1 TB disc is already in the works

I read an article awhile back that said a company was making a disc that would hold 1 TB of data and is only the size of a regular cd. It's supposed to use holographic storage techniques. Basically, what it does is instead of holding one bit per mark on the disc it holds one million bits. I think it's like if you look at one of those holograms that you find on cards sometimes; if you look at the card from different angles you see a different picture from another surface that's at a perpendicular angle to your line of view. So the drive for that disc would just adjust the angle that it's reading from and get a whole new set of data.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I wonder how much this would cost, maybe $5000 ?? I would love to back up like that. I ain't using 60gb yet but It woudl be so nice to have one cd that holds it all.

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

So we're going to have blue-laser, red-laser, holographic, FMD.... is this going to result in an ever worse standards war than we have now with DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RW+ (and whatever one's i've left out)?

I'm all for advances in technology, but would we have to buy a new reader for each of these standards? That's going to be confusing and expensive.

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I imagine expensive will be the operative word. And by the time the 100 gig cd comes out, we'll probably be using 200-400 gig drives (3 to 4 years away).
    But that's still much better than the current technology, regardless. My only concern is speed. I think there's going to be a need to get the write speeds much higher. Imagine how long it would take to write a 100 Gig at the current speed. You'd have to run it over night.

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

ugh. No thank you. If write speeds don't improve at the same rate as the capacity, it's probably going to be rather difficult for new optical technologies to take off. It would limit high-capacity cd's (or whatever they're called by then) to network back-ups. Consumers won't want to stand around for hours on end, waiting for their data to be written.

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's my point, I think these things really will be used for back up, there's nothing that I have that's that big. The only thing I could see it being a great help in is putting 30 DVD titles on one piece of media. You'd need to deal with playing them, but I could see that being an option with these new devices.

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Fantastic, our DVD collections will become the next Beta. :rolleyes:

It's an eventuality, but so soon? I sure hope not.

15. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think you might be jumping the gun here, hemingray. DVD came along and video tapes are still used, but losing ground. Until a cheap and easy recording system is created for DVD consoles, video will be around. And who knows when that will happen.

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes but let's not forget our friend the laserdisc. :D Perhaps that would have been a better analogy.

You're right, DVDs will be around for quite awhile. And so will videos. I surely don't doubt that, but we seem to be adopting new technologies faster and faster as technology progresses. DVD might be the happy medium (no pun intended) for now, but I would LOVE to have the entire Monty Python TV series on a single disc! So maybe that's where this new technology comes in... like a single 33 1/3 RPM LP taking the place of a 78 RPM record set. :)

17. AndreHAL macrumors newbie

18. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well the article said something about being available in 2001. Seems that might have slipped a bit, and all this ends up being is a prototype. I'd love to see it, I wonder why it hasn't happened yet. This almost sounds like something that was bought by a larger company to prevent it from ever being developed.....

19. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Someday, we're all going to look back, and laugh "Only a hundred Terabytes? My god, how primative was that technology?"

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I had to think about this for a minute... I can burn a 700MB cd in just over 3 minutes with a 24x burner. Keeping the burner speed there (even though they could make if faster) it would take about 4 minutes to burn a 1GB cd, so a 100GB cd would take about 6-1/2 hours. While that would be a drag during the day, it would be ok at night. Then again, if they are going for 50GB per side, that would make it better (time wise). If the burners are at 50x and higher, then the burn time really drops (which they could be). Remember where burner speeds were just a year ago??? Who would have thought that 24x would be so common, and 40x would be top end (for the moment at least). By then, there could even be 100x burners for all we know.

I would imagine that by 2005 we would have 500GB hard drives as standard issue. Just think back 3 years to what the drive sizes were then... 500GB doesn't sound all that outrageous, with larger drives very possible. Maybe even a 1TB drive in the current 3-1/2" form factor, spinning at 10,000 rpm, and being as silent as the current 5400rpm drives. I won't even try and think of what advances will happen in hard drive technology over the next three years, but I can see that all happening.

21. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm looking forward to seeing cheaper and higher storage solid state harddirves, no moving parts, now that would be slick. A coworker has one and it looks exactly like any other harddrive, it just doesn't make any noise.

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Sweet... How much does it hold??? They might do something with crystals at some point for data storage (a-la B5). You could carry everything you ever need in a pouch. That would be very cool... Make a reader that plugs into your firewire port (for people that can't get new systems) and go from there.

Who knows what we will see in the coming years... that's one of the things that makes it fun. :D

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not sure how much it holds, but approximately a low end harddrive. And its fast too, on the seek times, no spinning here.....

I'll find out and paste the specs when I get them.

Here's a link, you can check them out there.

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edide.html

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Not too bad... except for the low capacity of the drive. Sorry, but 77.8GB in a single drive (3.5" form factor) just isn't all that much anymore. Also, 17.4GB in the 2.5" drive isn't enough either. Considering how you have 60GB hard drives out in the 2.5" form and 160GB in the 3.5" form.

Any links to get prices?? Are they more or less then same size ATA drives???

25. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They are a lot more, so the technology has a ways to go. They are much faster than diskdrives, which is the only advantage they have a this point. Its my guess that the prices will get even lower and they will be better able to compete with the diskdrives. Until that happens you won't be seeing too many of these.