Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Project said:
Simply burn the music then re-rip the CD to strip the Fairplay DRM from iTMS files.

Only problem with that though, is that you end converting poor quality music to even poorer quality music through the process of encoding the tracks to CD and re-compressing those files back to MP3.

gunm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
HI
Project said:
Simply burn the music then re-rip the CD to strip the Fairplay DRM from iTMS files.

I find myself using iTMS more and more these days. I find it difficult to maintain purchasing albums now that im a student, so being able to dip into albums and choose what I want has its benefits.

all in all, I love the service Apple provides.

Similar situation here, although I don't really buy very much music in general. I've been using credits mostly (recently got a $10 one from drivingskillsforlife.com program), but I did pick up a few videos for my new 5G iPod, and I did buy a classical music album last week.

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm pretty much 100% iTMS for new music purchases. Before buying i was purchasing 3-4 CDs per month. I've kept up the same pace with iTMS, but at considerable savings. Bitrate/DRM is a non-issue for me.

Anyone who says that CDs are just as cheap as iTMS albums must be buying exclusively from the bargain bin. At least in the US, new releases are always $15-$16.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Can somebody just clarify the *authorised computers* thing.

Is it you are able to play the file on a maximum of 5 individual computers.

Or is it 5 computers, at any one time? ie you can deauthorise and authorise as many times as you want, providing it doesnt exceed 5 at once.

If its the latter, thats very generous.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
19 purchased songs out of 2131 total. iTunes does have a limited selection, and most of my preferences tend to fall into the selection that isnt on iTunes.
Glenn Wolsey said:
Wow! That's awesome, doesn't the low quality bug you though?
The quality does not bother me. At first, before testing it out, it did, but now it doesnt after giving it a listen. Unless you are sitting down, with no other external stimulus other than those that we can not tune out (ambient noise, the sound of our breathing, etc.) and listening on a very nice stereo system the difference in quality is negligible to me, this coming from an anal music composer that deals with both electronic and acoustic music.

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Project said:
Can somebody just clarify the *authorised computers* thing.

Is it you are able to play the file on a maximum of 5 individual computers.

Or is it 5 computers, at any one time? ie you can deauthorise and authorise as many times as you want, providing it doesnt exceed 5 at once.

If its the latter, thats very generous.

It's the latter.

On a similar note, one issue a buddy of mine ran into...apparently you can only store music from up to 5 different iTMS accounts on an iPod.

So, while Apple's DRM is generous, it still has a net to catch college students :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.