100% - NO Power Mac G4 speed bumps

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Recoil, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Recoil macrumors newbie

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That's wonderful but I fail to see how it qualifys as a Hardware Rumor.

3. Recoil thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5. Recoil thread starter macrumors newbie

I do digital audio and I need all the speed I can get . 3k for a 1Ghz system is not going to do it for me sorry. I could buy 2 dual AMD systems for that much and link them up .

Seeya! Last post ever!

6. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

you're an idiot.

The same article also said they were only 40% on a QT6 release date, and it's out NOW. I do not, however, think there will be a tower speed bump today...

but you're still an idiot.

7. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I take it that Recoil is a Cubase user. I'd wait to see what Apple does in the next month or two. I do music too, but unless you're all Virtual Instruments and VST Effects, you don't really need that power. If you are, then I understand, but I'd still wait to see what happens.

8. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Re: 100% - NO Power Mac G4 speed bumps

Isn't it funny that all of these people who are saying these things are newbies.

9. southworth macrumors newbie

has anyone realized that at the very least, either the power mac or imac has to be updated.... if the imac goes beyond 800mhz and gets better, then it REQUIRES that the powermac be updated VERY shortly thereafter.... the extra 4 weeks in this scenario til august 13th would actually see DECREASED power mac sales because all that would happen is apple's consumer line would be more powerful than their professional line....

the iMac is already an absurdly powerful machine for its price imho, so i think any update to it is only good news for those of us waiting for powermacs.... apple will make sure the next rev will be able to toast the imacs... i think thats one reason for slumped apple sales (other than the economy), the whole desktop product lines price/performance ratio has been completely off kilter these past 5 months.... apple's going to reset it properly quite soon....

// michael

10. imamacguy17 macrumors member

MWNY

So there wasnt any Power Mac update. what a rip. i wanted to see more pro stuff. Nothing about the X-serve and nothing about its companion device. And NO FREAKING new powermac. I want a new Power Mac and I wanted it today. :(!!!

P.S. not all newbies want AMD. I prefer the PPC over anything anyone dishes out. I got both at home. Compaq with an AMD under windoze 98 vs. a 233 beige G3 under 8.1 (its acient i know) G3 hands down.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(Recoil)Seeya! Last post ever!
    So are you going to his Bill Gates' ash or !!!! his :eek:?

For those complaining about PowerMacs, you should read this...

Look. I know damn well a lot of you are disappointed about what happened at the recent Expo. But I flat out posted: Expect people to be disappointed. Now I didn't expect people to be this disappointed, but I am going to say this:

For all you whiny bastards complaining about no PowerMacs, take a blue pepsi and calm the f*ck down. Do you really expect Apple to have updates after a certain amount of months? Look back to the Macs released after the San Fransisco Expo. Were you guys THAT disappointed? No. You were all happy. So what makes you think Apple won't do it again...make you happy?

So, plain and simple, if you are patient, you will be rewarded. If you are not patient and are not rewarded you are screwing yourself right to the :eek:. Apple knows EXACTLY what they are doing with these Expos. If they didn't, then why would there even be one? Apple has their PowerMacs just about ready for a few weeks time, but other buisness has to be pertained to first. That buisness is what you just saw at the NY Expo.

Again, you cannot keep expecting a new PowerMac to come out at an Expo. But you can expect a very satisfying update. Expect the best in the PowerMac falling under reason, and you most likely will get it. But these things do in fact happen at appropriate moments. I say this because there was plenty of other stuff at NY you could have seen, especially the iMac.

So don't expect everything to go your way, but expect everything to go the right way. As Apple's logo even states: "Think different." :cool:

12. Recoil thread starter macrumors newbie

Power-Users .. Don't blame apple, blame MOTO!

This is my LAST post for real . Right now I am pissed, yes I hate to leave APPLE, but MOTO is f_cking over apple . They need to DUMP MOTO and get with IBM on a lower version of power4 and BUY altivec from MOTO . Today marked the day that Powerusers left apple . I just wanted to wait until after Macworld to make sure I was right.

3000.00 for a 1Ghz G4 is not going to win people or powerusers over to apple because of moto.

For 3000.00 I will invest my money into (2) AMD Opteron Computers, EACH computer is DUAL at 2Ghz with a PR rateing of 3400 . This will be out in October .

Yes I use CubaseSX for native plugins and Protools Mix+++++ TDM . I will keep my G4 500mhz for Protools and sync up 2 PC's to it . This way I will get ALL the power I need that MOTO can't give me .

Today is the day that I leave Apple computers . I thought I would never say it . They will no longer get my biz . Sorry apple .

Oh and to the person who posted that I'm a nOOb . Well you need to think diffrent . At least I can do what I love and get paid enough not to ever work again. Have a great day nOOb !

13. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Power-Users .. Don't blame apple, blame MOTO!

what an ass clown...
    hes saying "I NEED A POWER COMPUTER NOW!!! I'M LEAVING APPLE!!! (oh wait... i have to wait till october to get my opteron..)"

g5 in january... and by then you wont be able to remember how many times your pc has crashed and all of your digital audio compositions were lost. have fun with windows

14. djniche macrumors regular

i agree there goes another future part time PC repair tech. You have to be to be able to figure out what the hell is wrong with your wintel box.

good luck guy - you will become bold pulling out your hair seein the blue screen so many times!

15. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Power-Users .. Don't blame apple, blame MOTO!

[sarcasm]
    And gee, I wonder what will be available then. Oh wait, I know! The new towers. :rolleyes:
    [/sarcasm]
    Good call cr2sh.

16. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I think that was actually Eric Cartman..."Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Have fun with the PC's and I truly hope that they do what you need them to. Really.
    I use macs for what I do and I'm quite happy with them. My main DVD authoring machine has been humming along for over two years and works fine, a speed bump won't do much for it at all. My edit system is due for an upgrade, an upgrade that will have to wait until August 13th, not October. And even if it has to wait until January, then so be it...it works fine now.
    I understand Recoil's frustrations, but a little bit of perspective on MWNY...it's a consumer show and the iMac17 being in the spotlight needs a month before anything steals it's thunder. Then the current stock of G4towers will be alittle thinner and the new ones will be released, hooray.

I really have never been able to justify a PC in terms of performance or lifespan against a Mac for what I do. If it works for you then fine, but take a good lond look at what you need, what you're getting, how long it will fulfill that need, how well it will fill your need, and how much you will spend to replace it. I did this analysis a year ago and the Macs turned out to be much much cheaper and better for the long term.

17. Pentium Killer macrumors member

Calm down guys...

we really knew that before,new Powermacs in August,and they will gonna be fast.Just one month to wait,o.k.?

;)

18. slo19xxl macrumors newbie

Re: Calm down guys...

AGREE!

Just enough time to spend on my summer vacation, and "recollect" enough money to buy my new MAC DUAL 1.4 ghz, with radicaly faster sytem bus, and start to use it with my beloved LOGIC PLATINUM, which is AT LEAST on MAC PLATFORM ONLY!!!:)

19. carta macrumors newbie

Will size matter...ultimately?

I know the 17" screens are nice to work on, compared with the 15", but I don't understand if the iMac line will nose upward in sales because of its new big brother. Any thoughts?

At some point a machine becomes top-heavy with pricey features and beckons the prospective buyer to wonder if the same wad of cash will get a machine with more upgrade potential (even if that potential lies fallow in the long run).

20. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

mmmm well cubase is for hobbyists so.........

21. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

while this may be true, it doesnt mean that cubase sucks..
    its all about a market, a cubase fullfills the needs of cheap effects and inexpensives DAWs nicely..

that said, BRING ON LOGIC X!

22. whoami macrumors member

honestly i'd love to have any sequencer that works in osx! i can't wait for either cubase sx or logic. i've got reason and ableton live running in osx waiting for them!

23. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

you should help me out with copies of those...

24. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

no you are right..it doesn't suck.
    But.. I said a it a few times before...and I'll say it again. I just want protools for X :)
    then it's bye bye 9.

25. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

not sure cubase sucks but it's certainly irrelvant that it's an option.

I've long since given up on cubase. Right after I got protools free I knew what a "Real" DAW could do. I don't care for a multitude of windows for even minor functions that could all be one screen, you can't even extend notes by a small amount (something you'd do with string arrangements to make them more natural for example) without them extending right to the end of the track.

It's got too many windows to be usable for me, sure I could get a second display but that's not going to let me view and edit every audio, aux and midi track with full visual control over the automation, control data, notes etc... all in 1 easy screen is it ? Infact I'd say nothing touches protools for automation, it's hardly a feature hobbyists don't need, it makes manipulating effect plug-ins easier and more accurate, you can treat midi like audio and audio like midi, if you don't need score editing either protools is great. plus you've always got the option of using micrologic for midi duties if you need something a little more complex for midi, protools handles audio like nothing else.

There's been a lot of features added to Logic 5.2 that are making it more protools like by the day, if apple do something with that environment window to help you setup software synths with only a few clicks, I'll be looking forward to a new mac running protools LE, Logic, Unity Session and Soundhack all under OS X by this time next year.

Even now, with the burden of OS 9's archaic memory management and cooperative multitasking, I'd still rather use a mac for audio work than a PC, with protools LE getting more tracks and once we're under OS X, dual CPU and Altivec enhancements, I think the mac is going to continue to be the best plaform for audio even if you might be able to run a few more tracks or plug-ins on those other brands, you have very little choice over what you run the plug-ins and tracks under. Also with coreaudio and coremidi we'll be enjoying latency under 1ms and Quartz Extreme to give us more CPU power while the GUI runs off the graphics card.

I bet that guy with his dual opteron or whatever would think twice once we've got protools and logic running under OS 10.2 on 1.4Ghz G4s with DDR. With or without dual CPU support, from every Mac vs PC benchmark the G4, even with SDRAM comes out the same as an Athlon if you adjust it for Mhz. I'd guess a 1.4Ghz G4 would be at least as powerful as an Athlon XP 1900+, with faster RAM and other rumoured improvements to the PowerPC 74xx family of CPUs a G4 of that speed could even match faster Athlon chips aswell for all we know. The Pentium 4 isn't even an issue.