100 people who are screwing up America...well, would you believe 25?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You've probably heard about Bernie Goldberg's latest book, "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America". If you haven't, you can read an interview with the author here.

Though I hate to be one of those who criticize without reading the book, Goldberg comes across in the interview as just another dishonest conservative. Take a couple of his comments from the interview:

That elicited, from me, one of those exaggerated, head-wobbling "HUH?" reactions normally displayed by TV sitcoms characters. Liberals are too good for Red Lobster and bowling? Where'd he get that?

Dammit, I like Red Lobster. I wish somebody in the liberal conspiracy had told me that I'm not supposed to go there.

More:

Okay, so he identifies with nut jobs.

And...

Has he, uh, looked at the Republican party and right-wing radio lately? That's where the meanness and anger tend to be.

Those of you who saw The Daily Show a couple of weeks back saw Jon Stewart make short work of Goldberg. While Stewart didn't place the "meanness" blame on the right wing, he did opine that these problems pale in comparison to what is going on in Washington right now, including more serious issues like the war.

Well, as I said, it's dangerous to criticize a book which one hasn't even read. I just hope he found some space among those anger merchants to mention guys like Rush.

Oh.

* Sigh. *

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I saw that. And I would have liked to see Jon really nail him. He's often too cordial for the sake of impartiality. I.E. the Santorum interview. But he still got the point accross that this isn't a book I need to bother reading. I'm surprised Jon himself wasn't on that list. Along with Al Franken and Barbara Streisand. :rolleyes: But Rush and O'Reily are ok? I don't think so.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Jimmy Carter was number 7, I think. Jimmy Carter makes America a bad place. All that helping the poor and Nobel-peace-prizeness makes conservatives feel guilty. How dare you Jimmy Carter!

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can we all imagine what the response from the right would be if a book had been published declaring Reagan in the top 100 America-screwer-uppers?

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I think you could quite convincingly fill most of those 100 slots with current Republicans, starting with Bush. There'd be Dems in there too, but they'd be the Congressional wussies who didn't even begin to stand up to Bush until this year.

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

No, no, you are wrong. Bush, Rove, et al do not belong on this list. They're for "100 people who are screwing up the world".

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're right, of course. What was I thinking? :D

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So... what you're saying then, is that they aren't really people? Suddenly it all makes sense!

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

The title of the book just sounds stupid. If I wanted to know what the hell's wrong with this country and who's screwing it up, I could just buy anyone a beer and start talking politics. And you know what their rant would be worth? Absolutely nothing more than likely. The book seems like one guy thought his bitchings and moanings were so important that he had to write them down. Well, buddy, you know what they say about opinions and ***holes... everybody's got one.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-tristan

I agree with you. It's armchair politicking with no follow through that is screwing us up.

Talk is cheap.