100 things guys need to know about women... haha

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgargan1, Nov 28, 2005.

1. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

*bangs head repeatedly against wall*

Honestly, I think it's one of the crassest things I've read in a while. It enforces negative stereotypes, and is just plain wrong. I'm not really one to say, though. I stopped after

The fact that women receive less pay than their male counterparts is the end of the discussion. I'd like to see the source for the claim that women work less overtime, and obviously it would be very very bad if women stopped getting pregnant.

I understand that you posted it just because it's funny, but I think this sort of thing is ultimately harmful and stupid. sorry.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Taken with a light heart and visions of people who really do fit some of the stereotypes it can be really funny...but some of them are a little over the top and un-necessary (though typically I really hate when people go P.C. and holier-than-thou, a little fun at the expense of some class can be OK sometimes.) :D

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think the sign of a truly equal society is where jokes can be made like this without fear of anyone taking it literally or taking offense to it. I guess we still have some work to go still...

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, the article wasn't designed as "look at this funny joke," it was designed as "learn all you need to know about the inner working of women; the people you want to f*** but would rather not talk to." I have no problem with offensive jokes, as long as they're presented as jokes.

And I think the sign of a truly equal society is one where certain people (like ones with two x chromosomes for instance) don't have to work twice as hard to make a buck. But I must just be crazy. :p

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you read the whole thing you'll see it's pretty stereotypical about men too - basically it assumes that the reader (a male) is a sex-crazed, shallow troglodyte with about as much sophistication as a turnip. I laughed at some of the stuff, and some of it was dumb. Nothing to flip out about though, it is Maxim after all, not the most highbrow stuff.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I thought it was spot-on.

No, it isn't. Women who get paid less are in that position because (a) they negotiate less aggressively and (b) they DO get pregnant a lot more often than men, which often leads to putting careers on hold. It's a fallacy that ALL women are paid less than their male counterparts.

Inequalities are lessening all around. Pay discrimination is diminishing. Also, the longer-lifetime advantage of women is lessening as women take up more of the unhealthy habits of men (including working longer and more stressful hours).

I didn't get that sense at all.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd be insulted, were it not so true. ;)

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

You're probably all right. Clearly it's been a long enough night that I'm over-reacting. :p Ah well, I never claimed to be rational. ;)

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hear that, ladies? :D

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

77. The average woman kisses 79 men before getting married.

It would be fun to meet the "statisticians" behind these findings. Anybody who believes numbers involving sex and relationship surveys is far more gullible than they ever suspected.

11. iGav macrumors G3

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Maxim subscribers want to learn from those who know women the best.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If Maxim was a guy, he would be a 29 year old virgin, I swear.

Ok, that's probably true. Well, at least she's probably curious.

Also scientifically proven to be true, so this is also insightful for those who didn't know already.

What the bejeezus does that mean?

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It is about time we had some math that even Yogi Berra could relate to.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Someone seems to have taken it a little too seriously...:rolleyes:

16. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Yeah, I know. We already went over that. :)

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not gone through the whole list, but I found this one hilarious:
    :D

Edit: OK, the rest was a lot of stupidity with a few smiles in between... :rolleyes:

18. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Right ... it's the women's fault they get paid less than men. That makes perfect sense! It must have nothing to do with engrained stereotypes such as those put forth by this article.

God, why didn't I think of that. I bet they like, want to be paid less, too. Why else would they negotiate less aggressively?

You know what's a fallacy? Trying to argue that the American payscale has any semblance of equality.

:rolleyes:

19. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I learned #61 the hard way. It's very true

61. When a woman tells you her problems, she does not want you to offer solutions.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That means for the other 40% of the time, you are in for a real treat. ;) As in... no more booty-- EVER!
    I can't speak for other women, but that holds true for me. If I want solutions, I will specifically ask for solutions to a problem. :D

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

No boo-tay? :eek: :(

No good can possibly come out of telling your lady you are being hit on by good looking women, unless you are trying to break up. Maybe this would work on an insanely jealous girlfriend but it's hardly healthy.

Ha, I laughed at than one too! Very good.:D

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From my point of view- the last place any straight guy should go for advice on women is Maxim. Ask us homos- your girlfriends tell us everything. ;)

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i think that most of the list is very tounge in cheek... nobody reads maxim for real information

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was joking. I know that. :)