100 year old awarded a degree

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Dec 11, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Oh... how disappointing. For a minute there I thought someone had got a real degree, but it's just a Masters of Divinity. Oh well. Maybe one day a 100 year old really will get a degree. Lifespans are increasing you know...

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

A Masters of Divinity is a real degree. These schools have their accreditation process also. They happen to learn two languages Greek & Hebrew. It is the degree that many religious organizations require for ordination. I find this no less or more than any other masters degree. It is a very religious course, I know from working at a seminary. They require high standards wit the written word.

I'm very happy that this 53 year old error was corrected. What an awesome day for this 100 year old man.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

broken_keyboard:

Do you also consider a degree in the humanities or history to be worthless?

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Everyone should be awarded a degree at age 100. We all learn a lot in school, but learning is a lifelong endeavor, and by the time you are 100, you know as much general knowledge, just from experience, as somebody who studied furiously for a specific degree. Of course, maybe people would rather have their reward for reaching age 100 be having their name read on the NBC Today show, but I don't mind if they get both rewards.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some of the japanese american community interned shortly after pearl harbor were finally awarded the high school diplomas they earned in the 1940s...i don't know why it took so long but it's better late than never

i might be 100 when i finish my graduate education...at age 31, i entered grad school and took a class at a time, got a third of the way through and then ran out of money...since then i have simply worked just to pay bills and live and eat and all those necessary things

at some point, i hope to finish graduate school and i am 41 now...i still have debt to wipe out and take care of before i consider resuming my graduate school studies so i work day and night right now

but the way interest is nowdays, i may actually be 100 before i can pay all bills, get re-accepted somewhere, finish my studies, and pay for those studies in full, and then receive my diploma

while working, having a marriage, maintaining a house, and paying bills, any post high school education is a major task in itself and i really miss the days when mommy and daddy paid for school and that's all i had to worry about

unfortunately, the graduate school programs i like are all private universities and that also adds to the expense, and years, it takes to finish that major endeavor

i just hope to get it all done before i am 100 ;)

7. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

No, I don't. Art is a very important thing. People need it, because of the way our mind works. History is very useful provided that we make sweeping generalizations and don't focus too tightly on individual events such as X being assasinated.

8. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

that's interesting. yeah, living till 100 is a monument unto itself. a few of my family members lived past 100 and it just amazes me. i have a hard enough time dealing with living over 30 yrs. :)

i might feel otherwise though giving a degree as an award to a 100 year old skinhead... :p

9. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

How much do you have left to finish your graduate degree. I know a friend that took 10 years to get her Masters. She took it one course at a time. In her case it was also a problem with a full time job, home, and family. Luckily she had a job at the school so that helped with the expense. I'm sure that you will be successful Jef.

10. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

"The study of theology is the study of nothing at all."

- Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Since the bible is a book of fiction that cannot be proven with science, studying it and getting a degree is pointless.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I believe you have to take Paine's quote in context.

As mentioned above, you might reason that a degree in the Humanities would be equally pointless.

Which, of course, they aren't. Unless you were being ironic, you need to take another look.

I am not a religious man, but I appreciate the diversity of wisdom.

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very sad view. It requires study of English, Greek, Hebrew, Psychology, counseling, & History. I would not call those worthless subjects. They are incorporated in many degrees. It appears that you might be an atheists. My faith is my life.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

there are no worthless subjects to study in college...some are good for your spirituality, some teach you how to be a financial professional, while others teach you how to operate on different animals as a vet...the great thing about college is that it doesn't have to be tied in with a job or career

some people major in literature and a lot of that is fictional, but where would society be without some of the great novels?

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I agree. You should go to a university to exercise your brain and learn how to learn. The subject matter you pick up is an added bonus. I'd likely hire a college graduate with the wrong degree long before I'd hire somebody who had no interest in education.

15. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

I never said English, Greek, Hebrew or any natural subject was worthless. Made reference to the supernatural being worthless.

See Internet Infidels

16. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

There is nothing supernatural or worthless about the protestant faith. This country was founded on Judeo-Christian philosophy.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, it wasn't. The founders were deists in the Age of Reason. The nation's basis was a hybrid of English law and untested French philosophy.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

actually, that should be the goal of "high" school education.
    college should be dedicated to focus in on a field, with little or no "errands" in pointless directions. but i agree on the importance of education.

19. Zaid macrumors 6502

Ineed. So few americans seem to realise this. The US constitution owes far more to the likes of Voltaire and Locke than to any sense of Judeo-Christian philosophy. Besides back then the Judeo and Christian bits weren't on the best of terms :)

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what you're describing is vocational training. while it's fine for people who want that, i tend to think of college as a place to get a classical education and to specifically make educational errands.

i wish i'd spent more time taking social science classes than concentrating on all those computer science classes, fwiw.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whatever this strange use of the word "errand" is, I agree. :)
    Perhaps "foray" or "excursion" were what you were looking for.

I think that even vocational training should incorporate a slice of the Humanities. Without the perspective afforded by studying outside the box, there might as well be no giants upon whose shoulders to stand...

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

damn! another signature worthy one.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

whether the christian faith (associate's, bachelor's, master's, phd divinity degree) is catholic, protestant, or orthodox, it's worthwhile in my book...studies of other religions like bhuddism, islam, and hinduism are also worthwhile pursuits

i happen to be protestant, but i respect the detailed study of any religious or philosophical belief...it's just as valid as the study of business, law, medicine, engineering, biology, or a whole host of many disciplines

most of us will agree that not all religions are 100% percent in tune with modern science, but that does not discount any religion one iota

24. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

********, where did you get your education? :rolleyes:

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is a common myth. Jefferson was often accused of being an atheist (though he wasn't... not exactly), Franklin went so far as to say he doubted Jesus was a holy man at all, and Madison fought having a Congress Chaplain (though he was in a committee that approved the use of one, so he is falsely attributed to it's current implementation). However, some were quite religious. Adams was actually one of those that criticized Jefferson for not being religious enough. That's why it's established that the government cannot tell you what to believe. So you are free to be as religious or non-religious as you wish. One of the things I love most about this country. People seem to forget that when they are telling people not to put up nativity scenes so they don't offend anyone, but then others insist on leaving Under God in the pledge when it was not in the original. It was added later, in the 50's.

So if this person gets a degree from an accredited college, no matter what it's in, I applaud them. Especially at 100. Even if the bible is fiction, it is still as viable a degree as any.

For the record, I am fairly religious... but have grown disillusioned with the current faux morality, and religious institutions attempting to use others faith to push their agendas. Any truly spiritual person would be outraged at what's going on right now, and I find myself worried that there will be an even bigger backlash against Christianity than we are seeing here. That's always what happens when the false prophets take things too far.

Look at how political correctness is ruining what should be a nice post about a 100 year old's accomplishment.