$1000.00 omelet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, May 17, 2004.

1. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  2. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I heard Americans like to tip 20%. That means the waitor pockets a cool $200. :eek: :D

3. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    anyone that would order a $1000 omelet probably wouldn't have a problem dropping $200 for tip... :rolleyes:

personally, i tip 2x tax

4. macrumors 68000

pivo6

I like how the "budget" version only costs $100.00

5. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

6. macrumors 603

I think I'll stick with my $41 hamburger for a while longer. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What is the custom across the pond?

8. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Sounds like pretty expensive Sushi to me. $650 worth of caviar in an omlet? I think not Ritz crackers maybe :D :D

9. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

10 oz of caviar? Not sure that anyone could eat that much in one sitting....

10. macrumors 603

And that's not counting the six eggs and lobster. Sounds more like dinner for four than breakfast for one. Not that a $250 dinner composed primarily of eggs and caviar sounds like a great idea, either...

11. macrumors 6502

Somehow, there is a way to blame this on the French.

12. macrumors P6

wdlove

I wouldn't even pay $100 for an omelet. It is still just food, which is gone in 24 hours. It must be nice to have that kind of money.

As a side note on Wednesday on "Law & Order," they had a murder of a caviar king. All over a problem with price fixing of caviar! :eek:

13. thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its pretty insane, but i guess if you have that kind of money and the lack of sense to spend it that way then go for it.

14. macrumors 65816

wow, talk about a love for eating expensive unborn animals (fish, whatever)!! eggs with fish eggs...breakfast of champions!

15. macrumors 68020

Raid

Yeah you kind of wish that people who would consider ordering this get a $40 steak instead and give the remaining $960 to a food bank. It's still a good meal, better for their cholesterol, they get a tax break (if they get a receipt from the donation) and they can get the warm and fuzzies for helping out others. Sadly I don't think this will happen, but I'm glad no-one has decided to order it.

16. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree, but is that keeping with the "I've got mine, now you get yours" attitude that prevails in the US right now?

17. macrumors regular

Actually, far better that this person buys the $40 steak, then goes out and buys a computer or a lawnmower or puts a downpayment on a car, SUV, whatever. At least the money is going to help maintain and/or create jobs. Giving it to a food bank will only temporarily help some needy people out, some of who deserve a helping hand,and some of who take society for all it's worth.

Of course, buying a $1000 omlette, while stupid, helps out the resturant owner, the staff, the suppliers, etc. It helps keep them out of the unemployment line. So if someone wants that much caviar & lobster & eggs, go for it! Freedom is a grand thing!

18. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Go trickle down economics!!!

19. macrumors G3

Counterfit

:D Go for it!

Actually, I would try that if it weren't for the caviar :)

20. macrumors P6

wdlove

Last evening on "The Late Show" with David Letterman, he had Emil Castilio the chef from Le Parker Meridien. He is the chef that made the $1,000 Omelet, which he said was actually a Fratada. The difference is in the way it's cook. It has 6 eggs instead of 4.

21. macrumors 68020

Raid

I think the same PR firm for the devil is the same firm that made us think 'trickle down economics' is really a good thing. :)

We did an economic evaluation in my Economic policy class once that examined trickle down economics. If the percentages hold up people below the poverty line would likely see about $0.50 from each omlette sold. :(

22. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Fritatta is an omlet that is started on the stovetop but finished under a broiler. It differs from an omlet in that an omlet is supposed to be served folded over to contain the ingredients, while a fritatta is served flat.

Personally I like my eggs runny, so I tend to favor the omlet, but my wife can't stand runny eggs, so I generally make more fritattas, as it's easier to cook the top more fully without charbroiling the bottom.

I can't imagine eating 10 ounces of caviar though. It seems like overkill to me. I prefer my caviar to be a garnish, not a meal in itself. Although an ounce of $65/ounce caviar would be one hell of a treat, espescially if it came with eggs and a lobster.... Definetly too heavy for breakfast though.

23. macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't care for runny eggs either. So I guess that my wife actually makes a Fritatta. Don't believe I've ever had any caviar, but the price certainly would be a stumbling block!

24. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That was some omelet. And to think that I was worried about shelling out $20 for a new iPod case, lol. Speaking of the show, I liked Charlie Sheen's story about the $900 mushroom.