$1000, $1500, $2000 dollar computer and software wish list?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Feb 18, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    as i have stated in a different thread, i would like a nicely loaded athlon laptop or G4 ibook in the (slightly-over) $1000 dollar price range

for around $1500 (or $99 dollars more), i would like a 12" inch powerbook or an athlon 64 bit laptop

and for $2000 dollars, i would like a G5 and get the adobe graphics suite ($399 at my local college)

what would you buy with those amounts?

how about three, four, and five grand?
  2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    1000$ I would get amd athlon mobile

1500$ , a maxed out ibook, mohaa deluxe edition, commandos 2, thats what I have :)

2000$ g5 pb..nothing less:p
  3. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    could i just like use the 12 grand to get a 1tb Xserve RAID, a dual proc Xserve, and a Cinema Display? :p
  4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    he he...i never have had 12 grand free and clear just sitting there in my whole life ;)

but if i did...dual G5, 17 inch lcd, adobe graphics suite, applecare...and i would pretty much depost the rest in the bank since i could not imagine going beyond that

if i went PC side...17 inch pc laptop, adobe graphics suite, warranty for three years OR athlon desktop with 19 inch lcd monitor, graphics suite, warranty and deposit the rest
  5. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    save money

until I could afford the 15" G5 PB. As in I would wait for the new processor to be in the PB.

If time is such an issue. probably just a 14" iBook, the 933Mhz one.
  6. DavidFDM macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2002
    Maine, USA
    If I had $2000 for upgrades . . .

1. Adobe CS upgrade
    2. Macromedia Studio MX 2004 upgrade
    3. Director MX 2004 upgrade
    4. More RAM for my 20" iMac
    5. Wireless mouse/keyboard
  7. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    For $1000 I'd get an iBook to tide me over until the PBG5 is released.

For $2000 I'd get a15-inch PBG4 to tide me over until the PBG5 is released.

For $3000 I'd get an iBook AND a 15-inch PBG4 to tide me over until the PBG5 is released.
  8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I would buy a PowerMac G5 with an Apple display and several hardware upgrades for $4000 (excluding tax), but:

1. I recently bought an iMac
    2. The PowerMacs haven't been updated yet

Oh well...
  9. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    1,000 - probably load up on software and peripherals - some games, bluetooth mouse/keyboard, nice printer, etc.

2,000 - 12" PB, decked out, + base station. any leftover $$ would go towards RAM. that'd be my road warrior.

3,000 - 17" G5 PB! and if they raised the price i'd load up a 15". (I can wait)
  10. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    With all three ammounts I'd get more FW storage to backup everything, and maybe Lightwave 3D or Maya Complete.

How easily money disappears... :eek:
  11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    ah yes, besides the adobe suite, there is the macromedia suite and quark

having a G5 power mac, 17" lcd monitor, adobe suite, macromedia suite, and quark certainly adds up but it gives the user incredible graphics power...but that would cost way more than three grand (it would be about $3800 minimally configured plus tax and with my student discounts):p

for me, at least, that is a lot of money and it's a shame that a setup such as this becomes painfully obsolete after just three years...and for some of the posters here on macrumors, this setup would be painfully obsolete after just two years

if any other product cost as much as computers with software but had such a built in obsolesence, it would be chased off the market or laughed at...it's amazing how many of us have to keep up with the rat race of always refeshing our machines, peripherals, and software

just since 1999, i had to refresh my main computer-printer-scanner desk setup three times

first there was the serial port powertower pro with epson serial port printer and serial port scanner

then the ibook with usb printer and usb scanner

and now i have a dual G4 with usb printer and scanner

i guess the next step will be a G5 based computer with yet another printer and scanner and at some point i will get fed up with buying a whole new setup
  12. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I may be out of date with my information, but I worked in the book publishing industry for over ten years, and if anything, I found the opposite to be true--I wanted to upgrade my system, software, etc., but clients preferred me to use the old software. Quark 3 is still fairly common in industry, Mac OS 9 still very common. Clients tend to be very conservative--once they find something that works, they stick with it. Don't worry about your system becoming obsolete, worry about developing the skills that clients need.
  13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    my main job is fixing computers but i noticed the mac side computers that artists use are all on os 9...os x has been out for awhile but i only see home users using it because professional businesses are really invested heavily into os 9 and the apps that run on it

it's slow to change there

for server side stuff on the pc front, windows nt server and windows 2000 server are there to stay for a long time and it will be late in 2005, or even 2006 when people migrate to windows 2003 server and it's that huge investment businesses have in it

i know apple inc wants people to move to the latest G4 and G5 gear running os x (panther), but they can't really convince businesses to shell out many hundreds of thousands and move as fast as a single user