1000 BaseT & OS 9 ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sustenance0, Mar 20, 2006.

1. sustenance0 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there is a way to run a Gigabit Network on os 9.2 Every NIC that I can find to buy online says that it supports OS X.

I have to run gigabit on a 400Mhz G4. Can't upgrade to G5, if any one has any suggestions or knows how to make this work information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Most if not all gigabit network adaptors that I saw online specifically stated you needed Mac OS X, but I did run across this tidbit from xlr8yourmac.com about a certain Hawking card...

I checked Hawkings site and found this data sheet for the HGA32T >> http://www.hawkingtech.com/downloads.php?file_id=353

In the sheet, it refers to it supporting Mac OS, not Mac OS X, that coupled along with the statement from the previous site, there might be some hope for you with this card. I would e-mail (the address is available on the data sheet) or call Hawking support and verify if it will work and that it comes with OS 9 drivers.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It has to be possible as Apple shipped G4s with gigabit ethernet before anyone knew about OS X.

In fact, I just checked using MacTracker and found that there even was a 400Mhz G4 that had gigabit ethernet built in. Check system profiler to see if yours is.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah, I thought the 2nd revisions of the Power Mac G4 (the ones that *finally* came with the Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse) had GB ethernet.
    Aren't those the ones that had ADC instead of DVi for the first time too?

5. sustenance0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much everyone I think i'll go with the Hawking HGA32T I found it @ COMPUSA 4 $18.99 that sure beats the heck out of the Apple store $99 PCI-X Gigabit cards.

Which was my problem our network guy @ work bought PIC-X cards for our G4's lol

Thanks again