Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Australia
The iPod classic is now over 1000 days old since it was lasted updated. (See buyers guide). Such a fabulous device it's so sad to see Apple neglect this device.

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
The iPod classic is now over 1000 days old since it was lasted updated. (See buyers guide). Such a fabulous device it's so sad to see Apple neglect this device.

What could they really do to improve it though? It's a great device with a great purpose and wouldn't really be the "classic" if they changed it up a bunch. It fills the niche for someone who wants a lot of music (and movie) storage on the go. Probably doesn't make enough money to warrant a big change anyways.

JordanJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Australia
What could they really do to improve it though? It's a great device with a great purpose and wouldn't really be the "classic" if they changed it up a bunch. It fills the niche for someone who wants a lot of music (and movie) storage on the go. Probably doesn't make enough money to warrant a big change anyways.
It deffinately doesn't warrant another change. It would be a waste of time and money to do so. You could always increase the storage or even make a 128GB SSD option if you WANTED to update it

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
It deffinately doesn't warrant another change. It would be a waste of time and money to do so. You could always increase the storage or even make a 128GB SSD option if you WANTED to update it

definitely not a waste of time to update it. It doesn't support HD movie files that are downloaded from itunes now and could otherwise even use a UI refresh. Something along the lines of the nano having the 'fake' iOS look. I still use mine lots cause the amount. The SSD would be nice but not necessary.

JordanJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Australia
definitely not a waste of time to update it. It doesn't support HD movie files that are downloaded from itunes now and could otherwise even use a UI refresh. Something along the lines of the nano having the 'fake' iOS look. I still use mine lots cause the amount. The SSD would be nice but not necessary.
It is clear that Apple doesn't want to go or Update the device any more. The iPhone, iPad and iPod touch all support HD movies and other content downloaded from iTunes. The device itself is still very useful but it doesnt fit in with the Apple ecostream of products and services

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Only plausible update would be to flash storage and retina display. Which could either leave more room for a bigger battery or to thin it down. With hard drive prices as they are an update would be a bad move, unless it will use flash storage.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I'm using a third-gen iPod and it's great. I use an iPod as a music player; nothing else. That's a big part of why they have the Classic line. Most features that I can imagine would only raise the, and are already present in the Touches. I'd rather have them gradually decrease the cost. Here's all I can come up with:

•A new case, maybe translucent

•The option to have a lower capacity

botwa

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
seriously, I thought about it too as I own iPod classic and could think of anything great to improve!
well, I thought maybe they should add memory? but what for? the capacity is great and even though I listen only tracks of ALAC codec, I can fill the whole memory only with videos.
maybe they should improve the battery? but it's great. and the last generation is even slim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.