$1000 for a G4 tiBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SPG, Sep 11, 2002.

1. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

A company I did some work for is going belly up and offering me a 400mhz/10gig/128mb ram G4 tiBook in lieu of $1000 owed. I haven't been keeping up with the going price on the used market so any feelings if this is a good deal.
    I would eventually get the cash though, so it's not like I have to take the tiBook or nothing.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. BongHits macrumors regular

i think with the money you could get a current ibook that may be able to outperform the 400 g4....dramatically in some cases. if im not mistaken the 400 mhz g4 chip is not as advanced as the current g4 line, while the latest g3's are the MOST advanced chips (manufacturing wise) apple currently offers (i dont know about the newst g4 towers but o well)

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

get a new iBook instead. the technology in the 400 is pretty outdated. my sister just got a 700mhz iBook and it SMOKES my TiBook. the old Ti has an 8 mb graphics card, slower ethernet and firewire and a bunch of other stuff that make it inferior to the current iBooks. my 2 cents.

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I would have to say get the iBook except for one thing. The beautiful screen. That screen is unreal. You get spoiled on it.

Otherwise.

iBook. Depends on what you will do with them though. That would help with advice.

5. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

Hmm. Good point about the iBook except that most of my work is in video and multimedia where the G3 just lags without altivec.
    Is there anywhere to check benchmarks for the two?
    How much is the iBook going for these days? I thought they were $1250 for a DVD playing one.

6. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

yes there is

www.barefeats.com has test the 700 ibook to the newer powerbooks and it was impressive actually wona couple of non altivec. the 400 g4 would have a hard tome keeping up with the 700 g3 even in altivec apps.
    Powerbook advantages are clear though. bigger scean svideo dual display pc card for firewire2 usb2 scsi320 and any other new interface standard, that screen, looks, . unfortunately the processor is soldered as all powerbook g4s ti and as such unupgradeable ditto the video card. however there is hope for the video, a company villagetronic will soon have a opengl 32MB pc card that is osx compatable for external display. that said the most upgradeable powerbook is the 400-500 pismo which already have g4 upgrades availabl, its just a matter of time before 667-800 g4's make there way in those. I dont know if the g3 ziff in the ibook is soldered though

7. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

But then still the other question lingers...is $1000 for a G4 400 tiBook a good deal?

8. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Great price, Where I want one!

$1000 for a TI Book is the best deal I have ever seen for one!
    I dont even think you can get a 500MHZ pismo for that price. which would be a even better buy in the long run

9. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

I was playing around with sherlock3 last night and hit the eBay button to check on the used powerbook market. There are a few on there for under $1000.
    BTW, The new Sherlock is pretty F---ing impressive, at least on a cable modem.

10. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

I meant from a reputable used mac dealer but it still is a good deal. I think I will check ebay myself in a little while. Usually the price goes thru the cieling in the last few minutes of auction

11. NatronB macrumors regular

$1000 TiBook

I have a similiar situation-

I have a relative who works for Apple and he offered me his TiBook - 500 for $1000. Great deal, no? Better deal then a new iBook with a 20% discount? Keep in mind that I am exactly one year out of college and am a liberal arts major (aka- no money and qualified to do absolutely nothing ).

I guess what I'm most worried in the paltry amount of VRAM on the machine. Comments?

-Nate

12. oldMac macrumors 6502a

The real question...

If the company owes you $1000 and they're going belly up, I wouldn't shut them down on the TiBook offer too quickly.

It would really suck to turn down the TiBook and end up getting nothing.

13. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Get this video card later.

http://www.vtbookdd.com/

I have not seen any reviews but if this pccard video card for external use is for real, 32mb opel gl osx compatability, no quartz extreme though. then your ti book when used with a external display would be a great multi media machine when used with photoshop, final cut, imovie, and open gl video games etc.
    Like I said I have seen no preview or review yet but www.barefeats.com said as soon as it is available they will have one

14. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Re: The real question...

Having been through a few belly up events, I can say this is very good advice.

15. NatronB macrumors regular

$1000 TiBook

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by oldMac
    If the company owes you $1000 and they're going belly up, I wouldn't shut them down on the TiBook offer too quickly.

It would really suck to turn down the TiBook and end up getting nothing.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I wasn't clear,

Apple is going to give him a new machine, and is offering the TiBook to be purchased for $1000.

16. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Buy the ti

If I were you, I would buy the Ti if it was in good condition, then sell it on ebay and powerbookcentral. If it is in good condition you could get 1200 for it no problem. This way you could make 200 above the 1000 that is owed to you. The best way to sell it on ebay is get an account, then email people who have bid on similiar items. This way you dont pay for ebay services, and you are targeting the proper audience. I did this when I wanted to sell my PB 800, and I ended up trading it for a 22" cinema display and a 933 with superdrive and over a gig of Ram. (Not a bay trade by any means since I got the PB new froom a friend at apple for 2499.) Since I am a poor college student, so i am always looking for ways to make a buck without having to do any real work, so this may not appeal to you.

17. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Buy the ti

keep in mind that this goes against eBay policy and if any user reports you advertising they can kick you off.

18. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

Well, I've already given the word that I'll take the powerbook, I just have to wait and see if they'll send it.

19. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

?

Im in love with two women, whose it gonna be?
    The one that is in Love with You for the long run

20. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

400mhz G4+ 512Mb + Jaguar= Super fast!!!!

This is what I have!!;)

Get it!!!