1000T proformance ishues!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dross, Sep 16, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

I have recently instaled a Dell Gigibite switch in our offices and my transfer rate is terible. I am currently using it to conect from my Powerbook to a NAS unit and I am only getting 10 to 12 mb/s. Any one have any ideas of how to improve my preformance?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Whats the NAS rated at (10/100/1000)? The bottom line is your transfer is only as fast as the clients.

Also, you sure sure sure you're not getting 10-12MB (megabytes)/sec? that would be roughly 80-96 Mb (megabits). If your NAS is only 100-baseT then this is as fast as its going to get.

If you are sure that you are getting 10-12Mb (bits)...I'm not sure what to say.

3. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

I miss quoted i ment megabits/s. Also everything is 1000T.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Have you explored the management interface of the switch to see if there is any setting that may be throttling network traffic?

Just for kicks, can you post the make/model of your NAS and switch?

5. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

The switch Dell 5224 24port 10/100/1000. The NAS is a little tougher. It is actual a RAID 10 aray across 4 machines that we have created virturial volumes.

That said I also tried a basic file transfer from my PowerBook to a single server via FTP and had simular speeds.

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Check the port you are connected to. Most likely you could have an autonegotiation issue, where the switch is linking at a different speed and duplex than the node.

Are you using Cat 5e cable?

7. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

Original I was using Cat 5e but I went out and bought some Cat 6. It did not seam to make any diference. I will check the port settings.

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Specifically, make sure the duplex is the same. Sometimes they link at the same speed (1000 mbit) but different duplex (switch goes to full, client goes to half).

EDIT: Also you may try disabling flow control.

9. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

I will try that first thing tomarow and let you know if it helps. Right now I am going to go have a beer. :D