100GB HD 1 GB RAM Superdrive Battery Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by topspin98, Jul 28, 2005.

1. topspin98 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Where would anyone know the best place to buy a 100GB HD for an Apple iBook G4

What about upgrading a 512 MB Memory to 1 GB?

Slot Loading Superdrive for iBook?

iBook Battery with longer life?

I would really like a good price and step by step instructions for installing

Sorry about all the questions, im new but I love my computer and I want it to be powerful and the best It can be.

Thanks Jake
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    > 100GB HD for an Apple iBook G4

Seagate Momentus is the brand to look for. However, you would be better off leaving the stock drive in place and getting a Firewire external. HD installation in an iBook is a B!^@#.

> 512 Mb memory to 1 Gb

If you're talking about a new iBook G4, you add a 512 Mb SODIMM
    If it's last weeks or earlier, you'll remove the 256 Mb SODIMM and add a 1 GB SODIMM for 1.25 total. Replacement is easy.

In either case, in the USA check www.datamem.com

> iBook Battery with longer life?

Don't know of any

> Slot Loading Superdrive for iBook?

Huh? Methinks if you want to replace the hard drive, battery and optical drive, then you should be looking at a different model Mac laptop in the first place. Seriously, it can't be cost effective to mod your machine all to h=!! and lose most of your warranty while you are at it. If it is less than 14 days old and unopened, you can retuirn it to Apple for a refund or credit to another machine. If it has been opened they'll ding you 10%.
  3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I agree if you want to do all those upgrades to your iBook it will probably endup costing the same as a powerbook, so if you are not satisfied with the current specs of your iBook think about swapping it for a Powerbook if you can.

Also changing the internal components in an iBook is a long monotonous task, and should only be carried it out if you know your computers well, Also it will instantly void any warranty...

SHadOW ;)
  4. gwimby macrumors member

May 6, 2005
    newer technology battery upgrade:

I don't have one personally, but they would def. seem to have more capacity than stock.

These guys do upgrades through the mail, I'm sure they are not the only ones:

Gave me a quick reply when asked about ibook upgrades.
    They said if you bought a HDDthrough them and had it installed through them, they would put in a superdrive (that you supply, way cheaper that way)
    for no extra charge, al la carte SD upgrade would cost $95 instal fee.

So its possible. [and if a apple cert. tech does it, is it still voiding the warranty?

If you do put a aftermarket superdrive in, you may nee dot googel "Patchburn".

5. topspin98 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    I cant afford a different computer.
    I bought my iBook Christmas 04 so i have 1 year warranty and repairs.

I just want a superdrive the most.

And the HD and Memory is for the future.

I dropped the battery idea.