100GB iPod/iPod Touch ??? iPod predictions for MacWorld

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iWinnipegger, Nov 23, 2006.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

My predictions say that Apple will expand their iPod line to
    iPod Shuffle
    iPod Nano
    iPod
    iPod Touch

Apple will keep their current iPod and add a new highend iPod, the iPod Touch, which will feature a 100GB option, and a widescreen,

my guess well be seeing
    iPod: 30Gb, 60GB, 80GB
    iPod Touch: 60GB, 80Gb, 100GB

it'll be known as the iPod Touch and not the iPod Video,,,

just some predictions,,i'm also guessing they'll make the nanos availble in all colours in every model, and they'll ajust it to: 2GB, 5GB, 10GB, and maybe a 15GB model..just some thoughts

2. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Here are my predictions for next year more liekly

iPod Shuffle: 512MB(50.00), 1G($75.00)
    iPod Nano: 2G(100.00), 5G(140.00), 10G(180.00)
    iPod Video: 20G($200.00) 40G($250.00) 80G($325.00)
    iPod Touch/New iPod Model: 40G($300.00), 80G($400.00)

There would be no new remakes of the shuffle or nano. The iPod Video will just get a second headphone jack.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

100 gb is not enough in my opinion. If the 'true' video iPod's main feature is to be able to play awsome video / movies, I plan to put a lot of movies on it. Movies take up tons of space so I want to be able to play those movies along with all my music.

We are talking a lot of space

4. ridergroov macrumors newbie

Any idea when?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering when you guys think these models or some variation of them might emerge. I am ready to get my iPod finally but i think I'm going to wait for the next model but I'm trying to determine when that might be. Ideas? Thanks.

5. bravedeer macrumors member

My predictions...

I will not make predictions on updates to the current line, I think Apple will add the following:

iPod video - the new touch/wide screen iPod. Which I hope they'd never even consider calling iPod Touch. If they do, they might as well go for the theme song "I touch myself"

iPod mobile - the iPod phone(s).

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I think it's very unlikely that they will reintroduce 3 options for the hard drive capacity in regular iPods again, especially at the 60GB level, most likely because the majority of iPods sold aren't the huge capacity, so splitting the 60GB and 80GB market doesn't particularly make sense. Leaving the 30GB and 80GB size seems right, but possibly have a smaller asthetic redesign or increase the functionality like battery life, etc.

As for the 20GB prediction Toon Master, I just don't see Apple downgrading their capacity. Even though the price is lower, $200 just is too low after reducing prices yet again, even for less capacity. It's arguable that the 20GB 4th Gen was one of the most successful iPods sales-wise, but it just doesn't really make too much sense. Besides, having the higher capacity increases the likelihood that users will be more inclined to download from iTunes because they aren't afraid of filling their iPod as much. Same rule of thumb goes for bringing back the 512MB Shuffle, I just don't see it happening.

One more realistic response is that the Touch model's prices seem way too low, i would expect a $400 cheapest model if there are even more than one! It could be so niche that Apple may decide to not even bother with a smaller capacity :)

7. shunpike macrumors regular

Shuffle: 1gb and 2gb same design as now.
    Nano: 2gb (silver and Black), 4gb (all colours), 8gb (all colours).
    Ipod With Video: 30gb and 80gb As before no changes
    New Touch Ipod: 80/100gb (not sure) and 120gb
    Ipod Phone (2gb) sometime Mid Next year
    Itunes Movies for UK - Rest of world follows by the end of the year.

Also maybe not now, but in later generations, a wi-fi link to your computer (Mac Users Only) So you can access more space for people with 120gb+ collections. Some kind of remote desktop program?

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Apple has no reason to decrease the size of the shuffle - they will likely expand the sizes - keep the 1GB and add a 2GB if possible.

Similarly, the 2GB nano will probably be replaced completely by the 4GB and 8GB models; hopefully a 10GB nano will be released (or more?).

The iPod video will not have 20GB - that is much too small and they haven't used 20GB hard drives in a while. They would likely stick with the 30GB and 80GB and maybe add a 120GB.

The new iPod "touch" will not be a new iPod - it will replace the main iPod line (what y'all are calling the iPod video) and will come in the above sizes (30, 80, 120).

Just my thoughts.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

If they really bring out the new real video iPod and a phone, this MWSF and the following spring will be expensive. I can already hear my wallet screaming.

- Leopard
    - iPod video
    - phone
    - iWork
    - iLife

I hope they wait some more time with the Santa Rosa MBPs... :D

10. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Heres a tweakage

iPod Shuffle: 512MB(50.00), 1G($75.00)
    iPod Nano: 2G(115.00), 4G(140.00), 8G(165.00)
    iPod Video: 15G($200.00) 30G($225.00) 80G($300.00)
    iPhone with Touch Screen: 40G($350.00), 80G($425.00)

iPhone does not include plan with minutes. Dun-Dun-Dun!!!

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Some of these drive sizes are a bit mad.

For the spring the line up I'd guess for the shuffle to be up to 2G, nanos at 2,5,10, normal ipod at 40 and 80G and maybe an 80 and 100 video ipod. I dunno though about this on screen touch stuff for the "click wheel". More likely to have edges that control things or else you'd get a smudgy screen to squint through.

100GB, i think, is the largest 1.8"s go to at the moment aren't they?

Oh yeah and a phone that we'll all moan about how underspecced it is when they announce it :)

12. imacintel macrumors 68000

I have a friend who really wants that to happen.

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

My guess is that we'll see a "true" video iPod with a touch screen interface (it will be larger than the current 5G iPod) that can display 16:9 video clearly.

Expect pricing to be US$499 for the 80 GB model and US$599 for the 120 GB model. :)

14. appleman123 macrumors newbie

Agreed