100GB iPod... when?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by OldCorpse, Jan 19, 2006.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Anyone want to speculate... this is macRUMORS after all... when do you think we'll get 100GB iPods?

I've never owned an iPod, but I've been looking at them for a couple of years now. I have some 3000 CDs. I listen to music all the time, but there are a few things that stop me when it comes to the iPod.

First, the listening quality... I believe I really can hear lossy compression, certainly on mp3 which is why i always avoid mp3s. That means going with Apple Lossless. My understanding is that it compresses by about 50%, so if your CD is f.ex. 60 minutes, you'll get it down to 30 min in Apple lossless. Well, I'd like to have a BIG selection of CDs on my iPod. Let's say optimistically that the average music CD is 500MB (most are more). That would fit 120 .wav CDs into 60GB, and with 50% compression with Apple Lossless and a 60GB that gives me some 240 CDs - or more realistically around 200 or so. Well, call me crazy, but I'd like more than 200 CDs on my iPod - I don't fancy constantly loading and unloading my iPod - I'd like to just load it up once, and have it last me at least 2-3 months of listening... I figure that would require at a minimum around 300-400 CDs, which with Apple lossless would be possible if there was an iPod that had a 100GB capacity.

I've read that there are 100GB players out there (Archos?), but I'm a recent Apple convert, and I'd like to keep it all in the family :)

So, anyone wish to speculate as to WHEN Apple might come out with a 10 pounder with an 8" screen? Or at least with a 100GB model?

The other thing that worries me, is that I hear you can't do gapless play on an iPod, and generally the audio output is of poor quality... that would be a serious bummer... I mean, I don't expect the earbuds to be worth a darn thing, and those can be easily replaced, but if the output itself is funky, well, that's much more serious... anyhow, those are my concerns, don't know how valid...

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple seem to have lost interest in aggressively making bigger capacity iPods. The latest white iPod wasn't upgraded to the 80 GB drives that were available, and the nano even saw a drop in capacity from the mini. They seem to be concentrating more on mainstream appeal instead of the Mac geek set now.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

100gb iPod will be at least a year after the mythical 80gb iPod which has been anticipated for well over a year and when somone produces a cheap enough small 100gb drive for Apple to meet its cost-benefit equation.

There's little demand for the 60gb models. Most people don't need or want that much capacity.

Apple Lossless? About 60-70% compression. The word here is that it isn't completely recommended for iPods due to excessive battery consumption and hard-drive wear and tear.

Want good sound? 320 AAC is pretty good.

(Lossless at home, 256AAC on iPod with Shure E3Cs except iPod is broken :( )

4. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

And the current video iPods have excellent sound quality, huge improvement over its predecessors.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Once we go perpendicular, I think we can expect to see 120 GB iPods by the end of 2006 and 250 GB iPods by mid 2007 all in time for the iPod HD. :D
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

6. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I think that's a huge mistake... BWDIK, I'm not a marketing guy. If they really up their storage capacity, then the iPod could serve as a true storage device (not to mention, if you're serious about video/film, 60GB is nothing) and you'd have a whole new market to look at... the same way the shuffle doubles as a stylish usb thumbdrive. So, maybe the problem is that 60GB is sort of "inbetween", too much for the average joe, but not enough for the hardcore and alterna-users. That's why I like Lacero's speculation about 250GB by 2007 :D

Re: Apple lossless being hard on the battery, I get, but why "wear and tear on the HD"?

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The answer to that question is/was "not soon enough".
    Apple should have given us 80GB iPods with the introduction of the video iPods. 60GB was the max on iPod photos, so those who filled those up could use the extra room for movies when buying a video iPod. My 60GB video iPod is full......wish I had an extra 20GB's.

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

More drive accessing because the larger files inhibit the iPod from throwing it onto RAM and playing from there.

Who knows if this would actually wear down the drive enough to cause damage.

9. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'm fairly sure the Archos 100GB players are using the 2.5 inch drives, I doubt we'll be seeing those in iPods. Given that video content seems to be selling well, I think they will go to 80GB at the next revision.

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you can't get 100Gb 1.8" drives, but i think when there is one there will be an ipod based on it - because video users will like it...

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Fujitsu announced last week they're getting in the business for 1.8" drives. Hello 100 GB iPod.

Link

I'm more interested in 200 GB 2.5" laptop drives! :eek:

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a 6GB mini right now. i want a large capacity iPod, as my music collection is growing and i want to encode at higher bitrates (192 AAC+) 60 gigs is nice, but i know that they can go to at least 80 if they wanted. i'll at least be waiting for an 80 gig iPod before buying. i would love a 100 gig one though. i can waitl but i don't want to be waiting forever. come one apple!

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

How many songs do you have, Blue?

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4751 songs, 415 albums + 3-4 CDs from Xmas that I haven't ripped yet.

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Now if iTunes only had on the fly conversion when transferring it onto an iPod...

16. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

You gotta love the optimism! If the iPod hits 250GB Apple had better have finally made some progress on making a portable Home folder. If I'm able to drop off all my main apps and most of my important documents on my iPod and then get at them from any of the public Mac on Campus... That's a feature more than a few people could use.

If Apple was hesitant to put out an 80GB iPod recently, imagine their reservations about making a 250GB version.

17. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

That would be a fantastic feature. :eek: Slow for the initial upload but it would be a great way of saving space on a smaller iPod, and no need for two libraries.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

too bad it only does this for the shuffle. i don't see why this option isn't standard all across the iPod line, then my whole library would be lossless or 320 and i could downcode to 128 for my ipod.

any way to make iTunes thing you have a reeeeeeaaaaallly big ipod shuffle? ;)

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

At least for now, perpendicular isn't buying you that much extra storage. Seagate is just coming out with their first perpendicular laptop drives, and they're 160 GB. Certainly an improvement, but not earth-shattering...yet.

20. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm assuming these are laptop size drives?

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Considering the Fujitsu HD in my PB died less than two years after I bought it, I hope Apple doesn't go with them.

Every report I've read has had the iPod at or near the top of audio quality, as far as output is concerned.

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Exactly.

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, yes, the laptop drives would be appropriately sized for use in a laptop. ;)

24. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

To be honest, I'd rather see Seagate drives.

Everyone submit feedback. iTunes 6.0.3 could be doing with some nice new features. :cool:

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

You know how often I submit feedback for iTunes...?
    I have more features that would be awesome to have and have been submitting them for almost a year now...

- alarm-clock ability to wake from sleep and play iTunes for example
    - sleep function
    - fully functional undo option for all actions
    - sync option to have the same song in different bit-rates. i.e. have Lossless at home and 192kbps on the iPod
    - when I search for a song highlight the playlists in the source list it is in
    - ability to lock playlists from accidental deletion or removing songs
    - searching for albums like coverflow
    - “featuring“ column where supporting artists can be added (the problem is that I don’t want to group every album as a compilation with more than 3 features and it gets annoying when the album gets separated in the browser because of this)
    - faster video playback

I guess not enough people are requesting those things. :(