100mb video=1gb or more in iMovie and iDVD!??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlmightyG5, Jul 20, 2005.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

I have 10, 100mb video files that i converted from .avi to .mov with ffmpegX. The files size stayed the same give or take a couple megabytes after the conversion. I put these ten files into iMovie witch should equal around 1gb. 100mb x 10=1000mb. But after i saved the iMovie and looked at it's file size it said the poject was 22gb!!! Also when i put one of the files in iDVD which should be around 100mb out of 4gb of space...the one video file took up a gb of space.

Does anyone know whats going on here?

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Most likely what you are seeing is that iMovie has converted the files to DV format. DV has a much larger file size.

That is my best answer... too hot to think.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes. Digital video, such as you have in iMovie and iDVD, are barely compressed. Therefore, what you have in a very compressed .avi and a very compressed .mov are suddenly huge in size as all compression is lost (sadly without gain in quality).

Unfortunately, I cannot find the ratio of video time to approximate size on the disk at the moment.

EDIT: Found it (thanks Wintermute!)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1529056

4. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

so is there a way to make the video import to mpeg2 or some other compression so the files are 100mb like they should be?

5. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As far as I know, no. A DVD's video is DV, and therefore, uncompressed. But I'm not a video engineer, so you should wait for one of those.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

DVDs are encoded in MPEG2. Otherwise to fit a 2 hour movie the disc would have to hold about 25GB. As far as I know, there is no way to get iDVD or iMovie to use MPEG2 instead of DV streams.

8. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

iDVD will take the input DV and convert it to MPEG-2 using one of two schemes (called 'best performance", a single pass encoding, or "best quality", dual-pass encoding). So the size of the input files are really rather moot. What really matters is run-length.