101 Ways to Save Apple

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Mar 28, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

An assessment of what can be done to fix a once-great company.

Dear Apple,

In the movie Independence Day, a PowerBook saves the earth from destruction. Now it's time to return the favor. Unfortunately, even devoted Mac addicts must admit that you look a little beleaguered these days: a confusing product line, little inspiration from the top, software developers fleeing.

But who wants to live in a world without you? Not us. So we surveyed a cross section of hardcore Mac fans and came up with 101 ways to get you back on the path to salvation. We chose not to resort to time travel or regurgitate the same old shoulda/coulda/wouldas (you shoulda licensed your OS in 1987, for instance, or coulda upped your price/performance in 1993).

We don't believe Apple is rotten to the core. Chrysler nearly went under in the late 1970s and came back to lead its industry. Here's a fresh assessment of what can be done to fix your once-great company using the material at hand. Don't wait for a miracle. You have the power to save the world - and yourself.http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.06/apple.html?topic=&topic_set=

2. Opteron macrumors 6502

It's a little old but still very true to todays issues with the company.

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

this is my favourite

24. Pay cartoonist Scott Adams $10 million to have Dilbert fall in love with a Performa repairwoman.

4. Opteron macrumors 6502

81. Merge with Sega and become a game company.

may be this wouldn't have been the best idea, but who knows together they may have been able to create something great.

Even so Sega, cut it's losses, after the DreamCast and became a soul software developer.

and this never happened:
    82. Give the first Apple made exclusively for Windows a cheeky name (like The Big Apple) and an irresistible industrial design like the 20th-anniversary Macintosh. Introduce it with a mammoth ad campaign that shows the makers of other Windows PCs running for cover, as if they've been fearing Apple's monstrous entry into their market for decades.

unfortunatly

this one is also good
    92. With each new Mac, include a CD-ROM that explains the Apple family tree and future plans.

5. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

6. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

That's a seven year old article. Maybe this thread could become another 101 Ways to save Apple? I'll start us off:

1. Simplify Product Lineup - The product lineup may have simplified dramatically in the last few years, but potential customers are still confused by the Desktop options. Apple should EOL the eMac and release a cheap iMac to fill the eMac's place.

2. Focus on Hardware - Apple has recently been focusing on the iPods. This has distracted attention from Apple's Hardware lineups. The time between product revisions is becoming ludicrous, and even the Apple faithful are becoming impatient with you. Even minor revisions are better than nothing at all...:eek:

3. Software Prices - Apple makes most of it's money by selling it's hardware. However, since the introduction of Mac OS X, Apple has released new revisions to it's operating system every year, charging $129 each time. When compared to Microsoft Windows® XP, this is reasonable, but when compared to the time frame during which Microsoft updates their OS, their pricing scheme becomes more reasonable.

7. vniow macrumors G4

Where did the other few posts go?

Attached Files:

• wtf.JPG
      wtf.JPG
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

4. Less Strict Independent Forum Moderation - The public has a right to freedom of speach. Apple shouldn't be able to moderate independent forums as they see fit...:eek:...;)

9. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

5. Better Gaming - I don't know how to fix this problem, but it would nice if there was more attention giving to gaming. Maybe Apple should license DirectX from Microsoft, which might allow easier porting. Maybe Apple could even produce a couple of games in house, that would be sweet!

10. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Depending on MS to support a competing OS is dangerous business, at best. Better to do what they have been doing, by supporting newer, faster, better technology. Apple's been a big part of the spread of Firewire and USB, the pushing of the PowerPC as a desktop processor, and is a part of the Hypertransport Consortium.

Here are my additions:

6) Work out a better deal with the graphics card companies. As much as it would suck to do so, kill ADC and move to industry-standard DVI so that cheaper, less modified cards could be obtained.

7) Build the G5 iMac. This is just so I can stop hearing people whine about its lack of release.

8) Push enterprise with a co-branded IBM/Apple lowend box and some big iron. Xserve clusters are amazing, as we've all seen, but some applications need the form and function of a large server. Also, by lowend, I do mean something intended for business applications and nothing else, so skimping on graphics and other frills is probably okay. Help IBM with the Linux on the Desktop revolution, possibly by aiding integration of features of Darwin into AIX or creating a free GUI for the kernel.

9) Have the Pop canonize Ives.

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

10. Release a headless upgradable iMac
    The time has come, we love powermacs, but make something cheaper that can be upgraded that does not have a monitor, I'm only 17 I can't afford a $3000 powermac, $1200 would be nice for a headless iMac.

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the big need is to let Steve be Steve. Apple needs to focus on software to bring 64 bit OS ASAP for the sake of the G5. They need to move forward into the future. As for hardware first perfect the G5, that hopefully will be completed in 3 months.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Did anyone actually read that entire article? There was alot of BS in there, and completely wrong ideas, but the last few scare me the most...

14. Opteron macrumors 6502

Yeah I read the whole thing.
    11. a 2 button mouse, with wheel
    This is a must, Apple need to swallow their pride. If you want a truly usable computer a multi button mouse is a must, as well as a must for 3D gaming.

12. write OSXI using Linux64 for both x86 and PPC, while still fully supporting OSX

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

10. Get a great image campaign. Let's get some branding (or rebranding) going on. Reproduce the "1984" spot with a 1997 accent.

Boy did Apple run with that one, after SJ came back.

15. Dump (or outsource) the Newton, eMate, digital cameras, and scanners.

Check.

35. Get MkLinux and BeOS to run on PowerBooks.
    and
    37. Take advantage of NeXT's easy and powerful OpenStep programming tools to entice a new generation of Mac software developers

Interesting!

62. Build a computer that doesn't crash

check.

Some of these are eerily on track...

16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Here we go, the armchair quarterbacking begins...I love how the same comments keep coming back. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone knows better than Apple what to do. Seriously I think Mac users will NEVER be happy.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

11) Bring Back the Cube! I want a cube with a G5. Isn't that reason enough?

12) Have more customizable orders. Have more options when you order a mac, but not so many that it confuses people. Let poor people downgrade their macs even more than is possible now.

scem0

18. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

102. Release Marklar...

That'll really put it up Microsoft, and finally put a stable operating system on a PC!

Let's think about THAT, shall we? What, I hear you say, is the benefits of SOFTWARE over HARDWARE?!?

Well - Apple's cash float is around $4.8 Billion (US), compared to Microsoft's reserves of $53 Billion (US). I rest my case.

As a sidenote; if you were to release OSX on the PC, not only would the masses welcome it with open arms, but the infrastructure would already be there with software. Great for Servers, as IT love working with Unix - and it'd be more popular in the mainstream once the general public see a DECENT operating system that's intuitive and nice eye candy in action.

Well - The CUBE idea's a good one, too!

19. Opteron macrumors 6502

20. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

13) Produce a monitor that is large enough to replace my TV The 23 is a good start, but a 32 would be able to replace the TV completely.

14) Produce a Mac that can sit next to my HiFi equipment Perhaps a new Cube? either way a slick looking machine with a TV card built in and a good range of inputs. Also bluetooth as standard so I can have my mouse and keyboard by the sofa.

With these two bits of kit I could do away with my TiVo, Rear projection TV and all the cabling to get content from my aging winPC through to the TV... Yes I know I can rig up the iBook, but its hardly a filestore....

21. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Apple are never going to do this until SJ leaves Apple, which will be about 20 years. I know so many people at the PC forum I go to that would love to buy a copy of Mac OS X and install it on their PCs. But the high price of Macs compared to PCs is putting them off getting a Mac.

22. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

iMac, but not that cheap

23. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Ohh. People always come up with this. If you compare an Apple product with an PC product with same specs w/o CPU MHz you will see that they are not really more expensive, BUT of course on the PC site you find cheaper options. These are missing at the Apple site. One reason is you can't buy a cheap eMac or iMac without purchasing a monitor at the same time.

What I can add here:
    - more BTO options like graphics, drives, etc for really cheap and really expansive systems
    - Apple should buy a game company and start releasing good games for the Mac (in addition to PC releases)
    - get the lineup to G5s (except eMac and iBook for the moment)
    -start advertising outside the US

24. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I was really digging that "Change your name to Snapple..."

Maybe they could release a box that only has GarageBand installed with a lot of bling on the outside and call it the "Rapple".

Or a computer made exclusively for religious institutions and call it the "Pappel"

Or make a Windoze box and call it the "Crapple"

25. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Porting the Mac OS to run on PCs is never going to happen. Ever. It would be the stupidest move they could EVER make. Why? Because Apple is a hardware company, they make all their money on hardware.

As for Marklar, it was a port to run on Intel/AMD architecture but it was never meant as a PC port, it was in case Apple decided to not go with the PowerPC chips at some point. It would still have been a Mac computer that it ran on, you wouldn't have been able to run it on a PC.