1024mb DDR in a single chip

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aic, Apr 28, 2003.

1. aic macrumors newbie

I have a 1.25 DP MDD and the other day I was reading the Green Guide. I was looking at some hardware prices in an advertisement I saw next to an article and it had 1024mb DDR RAM in a single chip. Will we be able to use these in our computers? I hope so imagine 4GB or RAM, does anyone know anything about this?

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i just did a search for 1GB DDR RAM, read some stuff about it that related to PC's... i haven't heard annything about it working on Macs though.

hope someone can tell us more about this... i'm interested to know now.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Re: 1024mb DDR in a single chip

The MDD systems are limited to 2 GB of RAM.

According to the specs for the MDD systems, you can use 1 GB modules as well as smaller modules, but using larger modules won't get you past the 2 GB limit.

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah i'd imagine you'd be able to use the chips, but the OS won't address above 2GB. I remember plugging 2GB in when the max was 1.5GB and the finder took up 700MB!!!

5. imacryan macrumors newbie

what if you put it in the expansion slot of a new iMac? Would the iMac then be able to max out at 1.5 GB?

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

but then again 1.5 gigs of ram is too much. would we see advantages other to opening more apps?

7. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Scanned images can be, to put it mildly, HUGE. 1.5 gigs of RAM is a good amount, to be sure, but it is not necessarily a superfluous amount by ANY stretch.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

so Macs can use 1GB DDR RAM chips, yes? as long as you don't use more than the max allowed RAM?

9. Bear macrumors G3

You need to check the specs for each Mac as to what the actual limits on memory are and if they support the 1 GB DDR dimms.