Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I saw this some time ago and i am thinking of doing it on my 17" PB. Here is the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/jimyounkin/PhotoAlbum6.html

What i want is to replace the apple logo so that it will glow red which will make it unique and get all my friends jealous. As always get great advice here i would like to know what to look out for and if i should do it, i dont mind replacing the screen if something should go wrong (if thats possible).

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
its a fairly easy hack, and it wont void the warranty if your careful about it and the problem has nothing to with the screen area. (and take out the mod when you bring it in for repair) things to worry about are breaking the backlight, the LCD panel, and possibly killing pixels.

It was pretty easy with my Pismo Powerbook, the trick is just figuring out where the screws are. you'll need a Torx (easy find at a hardware store) and some lighting gel (I got this because my friend is majoring in technical theatre, so he had tons of swatch samples.)

but i think it turned out very well:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/81335/

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jimong5 said:
its a fairly easy hack, and it wont void the warranty if your careful about it and the problem has nothing to with the screen area. (and take out the mod when you bring it in for repair) things to worry about are breaking the backlight, the LCD panel, and possibly killing pixels.

It was pretty easy with my Pismo Powerbook, the trick is just figuring out where the screws are. you'll need a Torx (easy find at a hardware store) and some lighting gel (I got this because my friend is majoring in technical theatre, so he had tons of swatch samples.)

but i think it turned out very well:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/81335/

Ok thanks, i will take some before and after pics for you guys and will post it here. I hope everything works out alright :) *finger crossed*.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
certainly not unique but BLOODY COOL!

i love the multicoloured apple, for the retro look on the AlBook.

am wondering what i'm going to put in my AlBook - this is really exciting! :D

update:

how cool is this : ibook cases
if i had an ibook that would be up the list.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Poff said:
Blue Apple would rock your socks!

Mmmmm.. i still love what i did to my Powerbook

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, I have to agree... the blue really looks good... It ties the look of the computer in with the aqua interface almost.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
i really love the idea i just don't know about the process. i wish there were an easier way.

i've seen a couple powerbooks with a blue backlit apple and i was always a bit confused by it (even Jessica Simpson and Nick Lache [sp?] have a blue apple on their powerbook, i know those morons didn't do it themselves so i thought there was some special one out there that i didn't know of)
[shrugs]

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
come on, red is better, why does everyone like blue so much? oh well, guess that makes mine more unique!!! (check out my 'tar!!! . . . thats my PB, or follow the link further up in the thread)

speaking of red. . . i want a red baclit keyboard instead of blue. oh well. . . maybe one day ill have so much money that i will just tear apart a PB and replace the blue LEDs with red ones!!!!

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I put a picture of a big @#$%ing psilocybe mushroom in the backlight of my iBook G4... it was sweet... and music always sounded really good when I turned it on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.