!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Sep 4, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, this thread was more about the next depression coming up rather than terrorist stuff... but well. :rolleyes:

2. big macrumors 65816

big

3. saint macrumors regular

I assume you are talking about this thread, which was closed by a moderator.

I hope it doesn't get revived here.

4. big macrumors 65816

big

I agree...however, I am curious about mymemory's opinions on next depression.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

there were complaints generating from the thread said above...sorry for spoiling the fun for u guys...

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Complaints. Man, right when I was going to come in and lay the smacketh down! Man, that stinks. I went to click replay, and sorry, no thread. Man. Next time PM me and let me get the last word. ;)

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

heh... we'll let you know next time... :)

arn

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hey man...I sent out a memo...

"did u get that memo?":D ;) :p

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i too was going to reply around the same time backtothemac was going to. i did not get the memo;) . one second eyelikearts response wasnt there and the next second it was. you are a magic man eye.... MAGIC:D :p

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's better to ignore ignorance. at least when it's blind with eyes wide shut.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Dude... that was profound. :)

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

nah. couldn't have been

i'm a jackass.

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

how you figure?!;)

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

15. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ooops! guys I think I was a bit off my self this morning... but well!

I was talking about my other thread, basictly was about some information about a near 2nd big economic depression in the US.

The thing is that by 1929 the Down Jones had 100 points and it dropped to about 25%. The stock market (at that time) was based on existing goods. Now, from mid 60's the Down Jones jumped from 100 points to 10.000 (what we (you) had in the mid 90's). Now, that ammount of extra points are not based on real goods, they are based on offer and demand and the worst thing is that Banks based their investments (your money) on that kind of products (over valuable). Now, a clasic example was the .com, then the Enrom came and the goverment realize the magnitud of the problem because every single company in the US works that way... including Apple (an iBook cost about $100 out the factory, that is the real value, the rest is offer and demand stuff). So, that is why the US goverment needs a war to acelerate the economy. On the other hand the comunist movments of the world are pointing to that direction (the overrated value of the stock market) to destroy the US and occidental economy. Just imagine if everybody start to look for their investments?

This topic came to my mind because we are in a very political sensitive situation in my country who is falling in to comunism and dictatorship. We are not a isolated case, this is part of a big plan in transforming South America in to the next comunist region of the world, yesterday was Cuba, today Venezuela and tomorrow Brazil, then the rest of the other countries. Right now I'm sitting here chatting with you but there are big problems inside the army and other institutions, looks like we are gonna have a civil war now in september.

Any way, I just wanted to know if you had that information and how much you know about what you think may be coming next.

That was the original reason of this thread, to see what you know about this. :)

Ps. This topic is about economy BTW.

16. big macrumors 65816

big

though in the great depression, none of the banks were insured by the federal government...that's the difference now

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, there is not a problem here. We need to war to eliminate a madman, not to spur the economy. War doesn't always spur economic growth. The foundation of the US economy is very strong.

18. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I know that but as I understand 100% of the companies works that way now days (overrated stocks to give them some name) and banks too. The US goverment can support some companies but not even 20% of the companies, we are talking that from 100 points (that took 100 years for the Down Jons to get there) to 8.000 + ( I heard it yesterday in the radio) there is a lot of difference.

The world wide economy is a big issue here because we have to be carefull because we based or strategy to defeat the actual goverment togather with other nations. For example, we have to kill this bastard (or president) before octuber because there are elections in Brazil and the candidate that is winning is smarter and more popular than his tutor Fidel Castro. If he wins and our president still on the power we are gonna be f***-up and the US consecuently.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't claim to know how the stock market works... but isn't it a big difference b/w the beginning of it when there were few companies trading... and now when many many companies are available for trade on the market? that alone would increase the "point value" of the market significantly...

so 100 (then) vs 10000 (roughly now) isn't a straight up comparison.

20. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has not gone from 100 to 9000 (8425) because of being based on demand instead of real goods. First in 1896 when charles dow created the index it had the 12 largest us based companies. He created to show how his stocks did on average on any given day. Many people confuse the DJIA with the stock market, it is not, it is only a price weighted index. The index is just a representation of some of the largest companies in the us. One reason that the index has increased is that it is now comprised of 30 companies instead of 12. Also the only original company that is still on the index is GE. It is, with the exception of GE, a completely different index with more than twice the number of companies that it began with. Inflation has also made a difference. The DJIA is a price wieghted index. The fact that far more money is made by these thirty companies than was made in the beginning causes the index average to increase. The total market value of the DJIA was a little over 4 trillion dollars a few years ago. The profit of companies has gone up, the number of companies in the average has gone up, and the dollar has undergone inflation. Since the index is price wieghted these have caused the market to go up. The average is not based on demand, it is based on real calculations.

Oh yeah, when Charles dow first created the index it was calculated by adding up all the stock prices and dividing by the number of stocks which caused the average to be lower. It is not calculated like that anymore. The DJIA is not the best indicator of economic stability. It is only 30 stocks with a combined market calue of over 4 trillion. The S&P 500 represents far more companies, 500 if you cant figure it out, and has a combined market calue of 12.5 trillion. It is a far better economic indicator than the rise and fall of just 30 stocks. It is careless to base your thoughts about the economy on 30 companies that represent a small amount of the US's economy. One should base their opinions on all market trends, unemployment reports, manufacturing reports, farm reports, etc.

I am getting tired of typing so i will not even go into the subject of depression and banking.

21. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, all I can say after that is that my speculations are not that realistic, I have to dig more in to the matter becuse I'm more in to politics than economy right now. For sure something is going on about that and comunist wants to take care of the stock market for sure.
    Any way, good class, I was specting something like that:)

Any one, any one?

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he...I'm can be sneaky like that ;)

23. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, all I can say after that is that my speculations are not that realistic, I have to dig more in to the matter becuse I'm more in to politics than economy right now. For sure something is going on about that and comunist wants to take care of the stock market for sure.
    Any way, good class, I was specting something like that:)

Any one, any one?

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

so ive heard man! i dont care what anyone says about you eye man you are cool with me!!:D ;)

25. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Yes. the dow has 30 companies it began with 12, the nasdaq composite has over 5000, the s&p 500 has 500. But none of these, except for nasdaq, are specific measures of a market. The main american markets are the nyse, nasdaq, and the amex. The dow jones industrial index is simply an index of stocks that might be listed on any exchange or market, it is not a measure of how well the market is doing, it is only a measure of how well a certain group of stocks on any given market are doing. The djia has gone up in part because of the increase in the number of stocks that comprise it.