1080p is a joke... (nVidia 8800)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

16:10 1600p (or in less half-assed terms 2560x1600)... yeah we've had that for over 2 years with computers... and the so called "HD" industry is still dropping jaws over 1080p which hasn't even been adopted...

4. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well we have had the resolutions, but here is a commercial card that can get nice playable framerates at such resolutions running games like Oblivion and F.E.A.R. - this will be the to card power Crysis it seems.

5. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

7. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I don't know, I guess those with a Mac Pro would be interested in that... seems likely.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Too damn right, I mean that X1900 XT plays WoW beautifully already on the 30" ACD at full resolution, but there's always room for a -little- lot more power :D

9. Greebazoid macrumors regular

dont forget 1080p is a video standard for movies (not games)

and, until content is released with enough data, its largely meaningless anyway

I have had a 1080i/720P TV for about 3 years now - but standard DVD's only contain 500 lines of horizontal resolution..

10. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And it's pointless to release content that can't be displayed.

Sure the TVs have been out for awhile, but not long enough or in large enough quantities (at good price) to spur much adoption. Unless the hardware companies push out display technology there won't be content for it. It's a catch-22 really, but it makes sense it starts with the displays first, then the content. :)

11. Greebazoid macrumors regular

I did download some HD content but it was when I had a PC connected to the TV and not a mac. (and it was spectacular)

The TV requires component for an HD feed - and I dunno how to do that with a mac. The PC had an Nvidia 6600GT card with native component output.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Of course it's a joke. Personally I don't know why people are so excited about 1080p and all this high res gaming. My PC has been doing it for the past god knows how many years. During work experience in a computer shop in 1998 I fiddled with some workstation PC. The guys there were testing games on it on this ridiculously expensive monitor. Though it is nice to see games console trying to keep up with old tech.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm surprised by those benchmarks. They arent the twice as powerful as previous top of the line as Nividia claim.

I'm actually happy after reading those that my X1900XT in my mac-pro will see me through the next couple of years at least getting great peformance at 1680x1050 (the max my monitors support)... with 2x & 4X antialiasing...

14. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Are they not? I couldn't tell well since they mostly had Widescreen resolutions posted, If they had even a 1600x1200 I missed it...

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as it were a few years ago already:higher AA and AF eat up quite something and it gets worse at higher resolutions
    the link the OP is kinda confusing since they compared them with cards at different detail settings etc.

personally i'll find it much more interesting how the middle range ( about 200 bucks) will do .. they mostly are only 20% slower but at half the price

also old games aren't likely that good of a benchmark anyways since there is no dx10 specific code in it

needless to add as well that drivers play a huge role .. i remember so driver jumps where performance in some games jumped 50%

lets got back to those cards once stuff like Crysis is released

(actually i thought that they won't release those cards untill next year)

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Will this be the end of graphics cards? Is this the first graphics brick!

That thing is huge.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Actually the power usage on that thing is disgusting. My iMac is running nice at 85w here (or so I've been told). PowerBook at 45w. Ridiculous.

18. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

My office is the coldest room in the house. I'm looking forward to the day I can get an 8 core Mac Pro with one of these. Might be able to turn off that space heater I keep in there now.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought the new Mac Pro's ran quite cold? playing about with the top end model, hooked up to a 30" display running all the pro apps (and me playing with Logic and a keyboard) running it didn't feel hot at all. My iMac practically gives off no heat at all!

20. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

The new quad core CPUs are back up to ~130 watts which is the same as the Xeons in the wife's Dell Precision 470. That thing throws out some heat, I figure any 8 core Mac Pro coming out will be very similar in terms of heat.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Crazy! Apple Stores must be very well ventilated! I mean my PowerBooks hinge gets silly hot after long use, untouchable even but that's ancient tech now.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The quad is very quiet though, go figure ;)

Here is a link in regards to the Nvidia 8800

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_preview/page13.asp

more real game benchmarks.

OK the card is twice as powerful as my new X1900XT :eek: That's shocking in a good way, but the price is equally shocking €669 at Komplett.ie

Think I'll stick with what I have for a good while yet, consoles are still my main vehicle of gaming....

23. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That is insane...

Oblivion - 1600x1200x32, HDR, 4xAA, 8xAF - 45-80 fps? *wow*