1080p movie temperature survey

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dtbadsjw, Oct 18, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all.
    I just wanted to ask what temperature you read when you play 1080p movies.
    I know 1080p is a overkill for air resolution but I already have a library of 1080p movies.

If I'm only watching movie with no other browsers opened, temp steadily goes up and levels at around ~75 with minimal fan.
    If I'm doing light web browsing, the temp goes up to 85+ and fan goes off at full speed, ~6000rpm.
    When I pause the movie, the temp almost immediately drops to 50 range.

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

This cannot be accurate unless everyone uses the same video. 1080p stands for the resolution but what is far more important is the bitrate. If you want to make this accurate, you should include a link to a download (make sure it's not on torrent site or violate our rules in any other way), as well as ask everyone to report their ambient temperature and specs of their machine etc. Also the movie should be the only app running, again to avoid different results.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

wow I never knew such details.
    I cannot link the movies since they are not streaming movies.
    All are mkv files. Do they have different bitrate too?
    When I said, light web browsing, I meant basic news sites with no fancy flash and mostly pdf texts etc.
    The reason I posted this thread is because I often play my favourite movies on background while I'm doing light browsing. When I do, the temp seems to go up very high and fan goes off at full rpm.
    I don't mind the heat all that much, rather I'm worried about the effect of heat to the internals of the computer in the course of long run if I continue to do this.
    Thanks!

4. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

MKV files can have different bitrates as well. You could try to find a small clip (e.g. a part of movie etc) in MKV format and link that. Or edit one on your own using the MKVs you have and upload it somewhere.

5. macrumors 6502

The other question along with the movie and encoded bit-rate is what player are you using to view them in and fullscreen, windowed?

Running Star Trek (2009) on my 11" under VLC, streamed over wireless from my NAS, this is a very high bit-rate 1080p re-encode (~17GB in size, with Dolby TrueHD audio track) I see between 65 and 74ºC whilst running it windowed and browsing the web at the same time and charging the MBA as well which does seem to throw some heat into the enclosure...

I use Star Trek as my testing movie here as there are some very high bit-rate sections that will really test out the LAN capabilities and the resources on the viewing computer as well as far as CPU and GFX goes. Generally in the first scene where they pan down the USS Kelvin is where some of my (ahem) less equipped computers will fail.

Brett

PS I don't have flash installed and was using Safari, I didn't try using Google Chrome as you mentioned no flash sites...

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

So Here's a simple solution-VLC.
    Since switching to VLC from MplayerX, temperature has gone down by 15~20 degrees and no more excessive fan.
    If anyone else knows a good player for HD videos, lets share.

7. macrumors 68030

Queen6

I have experimented with most of the available players and for MKV playback VLC has always been the most efficient, therefore the coolest running. I also have SMC fan control installed and increase fan speed by 500 - 1000rpm which helps to reduce the temperature building up some.

Playing an equally large MKV file (Apocalypse Now - 17.7Gb) with fans at the default 2K my i5 256Gb Air is around the same temperature as yours 70C - 80C this file has a very high bit rate, ambient temperature is around 25C...