1080p movies...where?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juddawg, Oct 23, 2006.

1. juddawg macrumors newbie

Ok newbie question, I have my new iMac 24" and the thing is gorgeous. I downloaded and played some movies from Apple's websites for movie trailers and such, in 1080p, and it looks fantastic, but where do you get full movies in this resolution? Are there anything besides trailers that you can download?

I have a couple NASA videos I found in 720p, but I can't seem to find a good source for 1080p.

Thoughts, suggestions?

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't know of anywhere you can get them. i play and record 1080i from my eyetv hybrid though

3. juddawg thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a bummer. Those 1080p movie trailers look incredible!

4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

to be honest, you will like to get a Blu-ray movie player. or maybe hd-dvd

the download service for HD movies doesnt exist yet. you may also want to try moviebeam.

Gluck. it is coming. but not here yet. my bet, hd movies come sometime next year. when apple has blu-ray drives/maybe combo drives, and itv is released. remember it has an hdtv output.

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I don't see Blu-ray succeeding... my bet is on HD-DVD. Even if it does have a somewhat inferior storage size and maybe even lacking a few features. Sony is banking on the PS3 to make it happen... too bad they likely will not even meet their 200,000 units in north america they claimed they'd make... pathetic.

PS3 will bomb and HD-DVD will be the winner.

6. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Yes, you will make more use of this resolution when the next gen HD distribution format really gets underway (whether it is HD-DVD or Blu-Ray)

7. 2ms macrumors 6502

Does HD-DVD support 1080p now or not? If so, I see no reason Apple wouldnt offer 1080p movies download

8. juddawg thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Apple certainly has the capability to do so. One of the reasons I was excited about buying my 24" iMac was it's 1080p capability in combination with the h.264 codec and Quicktime, and it doesn't disappoint for the trailers off of the website.

I'm guessing it's probably a bandwith issue. I have a couple HD movies that are .wmv (HD but not h.264 codec) and the files are humongous, and these are 720p files. It's possible for a service such as iTunes to offer them as the hardware can handle it, it's just the bandwidth necessary to download 10-20 GB movie files (or larger even) would force the price to go up a fair amount, I would imagine.

I would gladly pay to download movies from iTunes though, even if they were $20 - $30, if it came in full HD 1080p resolution, as the image is simply incredible.

9. 2ms macrumors 6502

I meant does HD-DVD have enough capacity to offer 1080p. If it doesn't then maybe there's hope yet for Blu-ray despite the disaster it has become otherwise.

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Toshiba's HDA1 and HDXA1 player are 1080i. The HDXA2 will be 1080p.

Not that it matters, since most 1080p televisions worth having will De-interlace the signal.